- Addison and Hedgefield Woods
- Banesley Lane Woodland
- Barlow Burn Nature Reserve
- Bird Hides
- Blaydon Burn Nature Reserve
- Bowes Valley Nature Reserve (SITA)
- Burdon Moor
- Chopwell Woods (Forestry Commission)
- Clara Vale Local Nature Reserve (Clara Vale Conservation Group)
- Cross Lane Meadows Local Nature Reserve
- Derwent Walk Country Park and Derwenthaugh Park
- Dunston (Acer) Pond Local Nature Reserve
- Gibside Estate (National Trust)
- Hedley Hall (Woodland Trust)
- Lamesley Pastures
- Longacre Wood
- Milkwellburn Wood (Durham Wildlife Trust)
- Ousbrough Wood
- Pelaw Quarry Pond Local Nature Reserve
- Ryton Willows Local Nature Reserve
- Saltmarsh Garden
- Shibdon Pond Local Nature Reserve
- Stargate Ponds
- Summerhill and Stella Meadows
- The Kittiwake Tower Local Nature Reserve
- Victoria Garesfield Local Wildlife Site
- Wardley Manor Country Park
- Watergate Forest Park
- Windy Nook Nature Park
Strother Hills Site of Special Scientific Interest
An ancient woodland and meadow with good access from Rowlands Gill where Red Kites are often seen.
The approach from the rear of the small Hedgefield Industrial Estate does not seem disposing at first but this is a lovely place where ancient woodland sits in close proximity to an important industrial past.
The woodland contains a Site of Special Scientific Oak Woodland with all the usual flowers found associated with this type of habitat including Bluebell, but also contains a 'Alder Tussock Sedge Woodland' - one of the best examples of this habitat in the region.
The history of the site is bound up with the industrial archaeology of the area.
The site is crossed by the Chopwell Waggonway - this now forms a path which can be followed and which connects with Victoria Garesfield Local Wildlife Site.
The site is in close proximity to Hedgefield Coke Works - probably the best example of one of the last remaining coke ovens in the UK - which is currently being conserved as part of the Heritage Lottery Funded Land of Oak and Iron Partnership Project.
Part of the grassland is found on the remains of a reclaimed alloy works site.
There are various access points by foot.
Limited parking is available at Highfield Road, Rowlands Gill, NE39 1EN.
Gateshead Council Countryside Team
Waste Services and Ground Maintenance,
Local Environmental Services,
Park Road, Gateshead
0191 433 7412