Toggle menu


Information about Housing Benefit and how to apply.
Information about Council Tax Support and how to apply.
See how much Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you could claim.
If you are on means tested benefits you may be entitled to crisis support via the Local Discretionary Payment Scheme.
If you are struggling financially, get advice and apply for help with your rent.
Find out how to challenge a decision about your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.
How to report benefit fraud in Gateshead in confidence.

Support with applying for benefits

You can apply for most of the benefits mentioned in this section online. If you can't use a computer at all, or have reading or learning difficulties, call us on  0191 433 4646.

A package of additional government support has been made available for some people on benefits and for those in receipt of Council Tax Support. If you are entitled to more help towards Council Tax we will send you a revised bill and an explanatory letter.

The Department of Work and Pensions have published some advice about coronavirus and claiming benefits. You can view this on the Universal Credit website.

Change in circumstances

You must tell us about any changes in your circumstances that have happened since you applied, or while you've been receiving benefit. If you or your partner is approaching state pension age then please read our Housing Benefit guidance for mixed age couples.

Report a change in circumstances


Help us improve this site by giving feedback