Co wheels offer a pay-as-you-go alternative to owning a car. It allows you day-to-day access and the freedom of a car when you need one, but none of the expensive overheads and hassle of owning a car. The low membership fee and simple drive-away charges cover everything including road tax, insurance, MOT, servicing, maintenance and cleaning. There are fifteen cars located at Gateshead Civic Centre; it's also possible to use one of the eight cars based across Newcastle.
Cars are available to the public from 6pm on weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday.
Get started with Co wheels
- Join at the Co-wheels website (members of the public) or by emailing GoSmarter@gateshead.gov.uk (Gateshead Council staff)
- Follow the directions on screen. As long as you are over the age of 19 and have held a full driving licence for a minimum of 24 months, you are eligible to join Co Wheels. However, please be aware that some further restrictions may apply:
- if you are aged 25 or under, you must possess a clean licence, with 0 points or endorsements
- applicants over the age of 26 must have no more than 6 points issued on their driving licence
- if you have been disqualified from driving at any point, you are not eligible for membership
- if you have been involved in 2 or more accidents within the last 3 years, you are not eligible for membership
- if you have not had theft claims in the last three years
- if you are not professional sportspersons, models, itinerant workers or members of the entertainment profession
- Book online up to 12 months in advance or one minute before you need to use the car.
- Drive - You will be sent a smartcard to open the car door and you're off.
Contact Co-wheels on 0191 375 1050 or visit Co-wheels to find out more.