Allotments provide a great opportunity for you to grow your own produce and get some fresh air and exercise at the same time. As an allotment provider, we can grant leases for plots of land for residents of Gateshead.
To apply for an allotment, you should:
- Choose your preferred allotment site by checking our list of allotment sites (you can choose to apply for two locations)
- Download and complete the
- Return the form to Gateshead Council, Housing, Environment and Healthy Communities, Park Road Depot, Gateshead, NE8 3HN
- Don't forget to read the which explain the importance of paying rent and the conditions of use.
Allotment waiting lists in Gateshead
Due to an increasing interest in food growing the numbers of residents applying for allotments exceeds the supply of available sites.
As a result, working with the various allotment associations in the Borough, we've reviewed the allocation and management of allotments. The Allotment Review has resulted in a new Allotment Strategy which aims to:
- reduce overall waiting lists
- introduce a consistent proactive approach to management
- introduce minimum standards for quality of fencing / structures
- provide guidance regarding roles, responsibilities and expectations
- encourage directly managed allotments to form allotment associations
Our aim is to reduce the waiting list by encouraging plot-sharing schemes and providing land for shared community allotments in locations where this is appropriate.
Gateshead Allotment Societies
Over 50% of allotments are managed by allotments societies. Two of the largest are Gateshead and District Allotment Association and the Whickham Allotment Association.
Applications for allotments should still be directed to us. But for information the contact details for the Gateshead allotment societies are listed below.
Gateshead and District Allotment Association
John Cole, 329 Rawling Road, Gateshead
07876 988 703
Whickham Allotment Association
Bleach Green Allotment Association
Mr Brian Findlay, 31 Parkhead Gardens, Winlaton, Blaydon, Tyne and Wear, NE21 6NP
0191 414 0714
Fell Bank Allotment Association
Ms Lesley Robson
Strothers Hill Allotment Association
Mrs Helen Eglon, 25 Orchard Avenue, Rowlands Gill, Tyne and Wear, NE39 1EF
01207 542 060
New Sands Allotment Association
Mr A Field, 1 Bates Lane, Blaydon, NE21 5TG
We are encouraging the formation of new allotment associations where there are currently none. Groups wishing to establish an association receive a discount in their rent for managing allotment applicants on our behalf.
Independent allotment associations also have the ability to apply for external funding to improve sites although in terms of responsibilities they are placed under a greater duty of care under the Occupiers Liability Act 1957.
We are happy to offer advice and assistance to any group wishing to start an allotment association or run a community allotment and is willing to provide assistance in setting up a community or allotment association.
General information about allotments
If you'd like more information about allotments, or would like us to send you an application form, please use our enquiry form.