Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19)
View the latest COVID-19 information and advice, including details of the local restrictions.


Due to government guidelines on social distancing and essential travel we will not be visiting premises / properties regarding complaints due to the risk of contracting or spreading Coronavirus (COVID-19).

If you feel you haven't received the service you expected from us, we want to know about it. By giving us your views on our services, you can help us to:

  • put things right if we have made mistakes
  • continually improve our services 
  • make sure we don't repeat mistakes

There are three steps to a complaint. You may not have to go through all of these, it will depend on how satisfied you are with our response at the end of each stage. Depending on the nature of your complaint, we may deal with it differently. If this is the case, we'll tell you straight away and tell you what you need to do. We report annually on our complaints performance.

Make a complaint about Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support, Free School meals or school travel pass awards. Challenge a decision or raise a concern about fraud.
Make a complaint about bins and recycling. Raise a concern with missed collections or report fly tipping.
Make a complaint about registrar services or raise a concern.
Make a business related complaint. Report the sale or supply of illegal tobacco, complain about food you've bought or the hygiene of food premises.
Make a complaint about a councillor or make a claim for injury, loss or damage.
Make a Council Tax related complaint. Appeal against a decision or raise a concern about fraud.
Make a complaint about community safety or raise a concern about hate crime or anti-social behaviour.
Make a complaint about environment and park-related issues. Report fly-tipping or raise a concern about graffiti, fly-posting or litter.
Make a complaint about our leisure and culture services.
Make a private housing-related complaint or report a private property that is empty, in disrepair and more.
Make a council housing related complaint or report a repair, raise a concern about noisy neighbours and more.
Make a complaint about roads, parking or transport. Report a pothole or raise a concern about pavements or abandoned vehicles.
Make a planning or building control-related complaint. Raise a concern about a high hedge or view or comment on a planning application.
Make a complaint or raise a concern about an Education Healthcare Plan, a school or a childcare provider.
Make a social care complaint about our children or adult services, or raise a concern about an individual or a care provider.
Find out when your MPs advice surgeries are held.
If you are not happy with the way we've handled your complaint you can have your complaint investigated by the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

By using one of the options above you're helping us free up our phone lines for urgent matters and for those who don't have access to a computer.

If you are unable to find an answer or would prefer to speak to someone you can:

  • visit Gateshead Civic Centre. Not all services are based in the civic centre.
  • call the contact centre on 0191 433 3000, open 8am to 5.30pm Monday - Thursday and 8am to 5pm on Friday. 

Ask us about support available for people who need an interpreter or a British Sign Language interpreter.


Share this page