- Councillors and committees
- Elections and voting
- Calendar of meetings
- Thrive: our strategic approach
- Find your Councillor
- Elections and voting
- About the council
- Emergency planning
- Honorary Freemen of Gateshead
- MPs and MEPs
- North East Combined Authority
- Councillors code of conduct
Northumbria Police and Crime Panel
The five Tyne and Wear Councils and Northumberland County Council have established the Northumbria Police and Crime Panel as required by the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011. The Panel scrutinises the performance of the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) and also promotes openness in the delivery of police services throughout Northumbria.
The Panel's powers and responsibilities include:
- Reviewing the draft Police and Crime Plan
- Publicly scrutinising the PCC's annual report
- Reviewing and scrutinising decisions and actions of the PCC
- Reviewing and vetoing the PCC's proposed precept levels
- Reviewing and confirming the PCC's proposed appointments of Chief Constable, Chief Executive, Chief Finance Officer, and Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner.
Membership of the Panel
The Panel consists of the following members:
- Gateshead Council - Councillors Angela Douglas (Chair) and Sonya Hawkins
- Newcastle City Council - Councillors Claire Penny-Evans and Kyle Webster
- North Tyneside Council - Councillors Tommy Mulvenna and Janice Mole
- Northumberland County Council - Councillors Robbie Moore and John Riddle
- South Tyneside Council - Councillors Alison Strole and Joyce Walsh
- Sunderland City Council - Councillor Doris MacKnight and Michael Mordey (Vice Chair)
- Independent Members - Mrs Janet Guy and Mr Shlomi Isaacson
The Police and Crime Commissioner
The Police and Crime Commissioner has a statutory duty and electoral mandate to hold the police to account on behalf of the public and receives all income related to policing and crime reduction. The PCC exercises a number of functions under the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011. These include:
- Maintaining an efficient and effective Police Force.
- Setting the strategic direction and objectives of the force in a Police and Crime Plan.
- Holding the Chief Constable to account for police performance.
- Setting the policing precept.
- Deciding the force budget allocating assets and funds to the Chief Constable.
- Appointing the Chief Constable.
Terms of Reference, procedure rules and panel arrangements
Schedule of Meetings
Tuesday 30 July 2019 at 2pm
Tuesday 10 September 2019 at 2pm
Tuesday 14 January 2020 at 2pm
Tuesday 4 February 2020 at 2pm
Tuesday 17 March 2020 at 2pm
Panel agendas and papers
Panel reports to the PCC
Appointment of the Chief Constable [124.15KB]Appointment of the Chief Constable
Police-and-Crime-Plan-2013-18 [21.64KB]Police and Crime Plan 2013-2018
Police and Crime Plan 2017-21 [149KB]Police and Crime Plan 2017-2021
Annual Report 2017-18 [146.5KB]Annual Report 2016-2017
Annual Report 2017-18 [146.5KB]Annual Report 2017-2018
Precept 2018-19 [136KB]Precept 2018-2019
Precept 2019-20 [136KB]Precept 2019-2020
Panel Funding [9.38KB] Panel Funding
Further information on the Panel can be obtained by phoning 0191 433 2128 or emailing email@example.com
Further information about the Police and Crime Commissioner can be found on the Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner website.