Northumbria Police and Crime Panel
The five Tyne and Wear Councils and Northumberland County Council have established the Northumbria Police and Crime Panel as required by the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011. The Panel scrutinises the performance of the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC), Vera Baird QC, and also promotes openness in the delivery of police services throughout Northumbria.
The Panel's powers and responsibilities include:
- Reviewing the draft Police and Crime Plan
- Publicly scrutinising the PCC's annual report
- Reviewing and scrutinising decisions and actions of the PCC
- Reviewing and vetoing the PCC's proposed precept levels
- Reviewing and confirming the PCC's proposed appointments of Chief Constable, Chief Executive, Chief Finance Officer, and Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner.
Membership of the Panel
The 2018/19 membership of the Panel consists of the following members:
- Gateshead Council - Councillors Angela Douglas (Chair) and Sonya Hawkins
- Newcastle City Council - Councillors Habib Rahman and Kyle Webster
- North Tyneside Council - Councillors Tommy Mulvenna and Carole Burdis
- Northumberland County Council - Councillors John Riddle and Susan Davey
- South Tyneside Council - Councillors Geraldine Kilgour and Joyce Welsh
- Sunderland City Council - Councillor Graeme Miller and Michael Mordey
- Independent Members - Mrs Janet Guy and Mr Shlomi Isaacson
The Police and Crime Commissioner
The Police and Crime Commissioner has a statutory duty and electoral mandate to hold the police to account on behalf of the public and receives all income related to policing and crime reduction. The PCC exercises a number of functions under the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011. These include:
- Maintaining an efficient and effective Police Force.
- Setting the strategic direction and objectives of the force in a Police and Crime Plan.
- Holding the Chief Constable to account for police performance.
- Setting the policing precept.
- Deciding the force budget allocating assets and funds to the Chief Constable.
- Appointing the Chief Constable.
Terms of Reference, procedure rules and panel arrangements
Schedule of Meetings 2018/19
Tuesday 31 July 2018 at 2.00pm
Tuesday 30 October 2018 at 2.00pm
Tuesday 15 January 2019 at 2.00pm
Tuesday 5 February 2019 at 2.00pm
Tuesday 5 March 2019 at 2.00pm
Tuesday 23 April 2019 at 2.00pm
Panel agendas and papers
Panel reports to the PCC
Further information on the Panel can be obtained by phoning 0191 433 2128 or emailing email@example.com
Further information about the Police and Crime Commissioner can be found on the Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner website.