Northumbria Police and Crime Panel
The five Tyne and Wear Councils and Northumberland County Council have established the Northumbria Police and Crime Panel as required by the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011. The Panel scrutinises the performance of the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) and also promotes openness in the delivery of police services throughout Northumbria.
The Panel's powers and responsibilities include:
- Reviewing the draft Police and Crime Plan
- Publicly scrutinising the PCC's annual report
- Reviewing and scrutinising decisions and actions of the PCC
- Reviewing and vetoing the PCC's proposed precept levels
- Reviewing and confirming the PCC's proposed appointments of Chief Constable, Chief Executive, Chief Finance Officer, and Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner.
Membership of the Panel
The Panel consists of the following members:
- Gateshead Council - Councillors Angela Douglas and Peter Maughan
- Newcastle City Council - Councillors Juna Sathian and Karen Robinson
- North Tyneside Council - Councillors Carol Burdis and Carl Johnson
- Northumberland County Council - Councillors Gordon Stewart and Colin Horncastle
- South Tyneside Council - Councillors James Foreman and Joyce Welsh
- Sunderland City Council - Councillors Claire Rowntree and Paul Stewart
- Independent Members - Mr Jonathan Klajn and vacancy
Please see the advert for the vacant Independent Member position closing date 11 November 2022.
The Police and Crime Commissioner
The Police and Crime Commissioner has a statutory duty and electoral mandate to hold the police to account on behalf of the public and receives all income related to policing and crime reduction. The PCC exercises a number of functions under the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011. These include:
- Maintaining an efficient and effective Police Force.
- Setting the strategic direction and objectives of the force in a Police and Crime Plan.
- Holding the Chief Constable to account for police performance.
- Setting the policing precept.
- Deciding the force budget allocating assets and funds to the Chief Constable.
- Appointing the Chief Constable.
Terms of Reference, procedure rules and panel arrangements
Schedule of Meetings
Tuesday 26 July 2022 at 1.30pm in Gateshead Civic Centre (Confirmation Hearing)
Tuesday 26 July 2022 at 2pm in Gateshead Civic Centre
Monday 12 September 2022 at 10am in Gateshead Civic Centre
Tuesday 25th October 2022 at 2pm in Gateshead Civic Centre
Tuesday 13th December 2022 at 2pm in Gateshead Civic Centre
Tuesday 7th February 2023 at 2pm in Gateshead Civic Centre
Tuesday 21 March 2023 at 2pm in Gateshead Civic Centre
Panel agendas and papers
Panel reports to the PCC
Further information on the Panel can be obtained by phoning 0191 433 2128 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information about the Police and Crime Commissioner can be found on the Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner website.