Northumbria Police and Crime Panel
The five Tyne and Wear Councils and Northumberland County Council have established the Northumbria Police and Crime Panel as required by the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011. The Panel scrutinises the performance of the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) and also promotes openness in the delivery of police services throughout Northumbria.
The Panel's powers and responsibilities include:
- Reviewing the draft Police and Crime Plan
- Publicly scrutinising the PCC's annual report
- Reviewing and scrutinising decisions and actions of the PCC
- Reviewing and vetoing the PCC's proposed precept levels
- Reviewing and confirming the PCC's proposed appointments of Chief Constable, Chief Executive, Chief Finance Officer, and Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner.
Membership of the Panel
The Panel consists of the following members:
- Gateshead Council - Councillors Angela Douglas and Peter Maughan
- Newcastle City Council - Councillors Peter Lovatt and Juna Sathian
- North Tyneside Council - Councillors Carl Johnson and Tommy Mulvenna
- Northumberland County Council - Councillors Gordon Stewart and Colin Horncastle
- South Tyneside Council - Councillors James Foreman and Joyce Welsh
- Sunderland City Council - Councillors Claire Rowntree and Paul Stewart
- Independent Members - Mr Jonathan Klajn and Mr Kami Kundi
Please see the advert for the vacant Independent Member position closing date 01 March 2024.
The Police and Crime Commissioner
The Police and Crime Commissioner has a statutory duty and electoral mandate to hold the police to account on behalf of the public and receives all income related to policing and crime reduction. The PCC exercises a number of functions under the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011. These include:
- Maintaining an efficient and effective Police Force.
- Setting the strategic direction and objectives of the force in a Police and Crime Plan.
- Holding the Chief Constable to account for police performance.
- Setting the policing precept.
- Deciding the force budget allocating assets and funds to the Chief Constable.
- Appointing the Chief Constable.
Terms of Reference, procedure rules and panel arrangements
Schedule of Meetings
Tuesday 12 September 2023 at 2pm at Gateshead Civic Centre
Panel agendas and papers
Panel reports to the PCC
Further information on the Panel can be obtained by calling 0191 433 2460 or emailing TimBriton@gateshead.gov.uk
Further information about the Police and Crime Commissioner can be found on the Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner website.