Challenge a benefit decision

Challenge a benefit decision

If you think the decision about your Housing Benefit is wrong you can appeal within one month of the date of the council's decision. A grievance against Local Council Tax Support can be appealed at any time.

Challenge a benefit decision

If you are affected by our decision and are not happy with it, you can appeal.

  • Step 1: Ask for an explanation either in writing or verbally.
  • Step 2: If you disagree with the explanation you can ask us to reconsider the decision. This is called revision. You will need to tell us, in writing, why you think the decision is wrong.
  • Step 3: If we are unable to change the decision or you remain unhappy, you can appeal. We will look at everything again but if we still cannot agree, we will send your appeal to an independent tribunal. To do this we will need to ask you to sign your appeal. Once the tribunal receive your appeal, they will arrange a hearing to consider it. You will be given the option of attending. Otherwise, the tribunal will look at what you have said in your appeal and what we have said as well.

If you are unhappy about a decision we have made about entitlement to a reduction under the Local Council Tax Support scheme, you must serve a notice in writing to the council saying why you disagree. This is called a grievance. We will look at the amount of reduction again and reply to you. If you are unhappy with our reply, or have not heard from us within two months, you can appeal directly to the valuation tribunal.

Landlord appeals

Landlords only have certain rights to appeal if they don't agree with the decision about Housing Benefit. While they cannot appeal the level of benefit we award they can:

  • appeal if our decision is not to pay benefit direct to them
  • appeal if we ask them to pay back any benefit we have overpaid

Contact us

Benefit Enquiries
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 4646

Share this page