Toggle menu

Report a change in circumstances

You must tell us about any changes that could affect the amount of benefit you get.

This will take around 10 minutes.

Make sure you have details of the change before you start the form.

You don't need your benefit claim number, but it will help us if you do have it. It takes around 12 days to process a change in circumstances.

Report a change in circumstances

If your circumstances have changed since you applied, or while you've been receiving benefit, it may alter the amount of benefit you are entitled to.

For example, you must tell us if:

  • your rent changes
  • you move house
  • anyone moves into or out of your household
  • you stop or start work
  • you or your partner's income, capital or savings change
  • you or your partner's capital goes over £6,000 if you are working age, £10,000 if you are pension age and £16,000 if you are either
  • an adult who lives with you has an income, capital or savings change
  • a child leaves home or a new child is born
  • there's a change in your child attending school or college
  • there's a change of tenant in your property
  • you are temporarily absent from your address for more than 4 weeks because you are outside Great Britain
  • you are temporarily absent from your normal home for any other reason

If you don't report changes it could mean that you're not getting all the benefit you're entitled to. This may lead to you losing benefit if you report the change late.

It could also mean that we have paid you too much and could be considered as fraud. If this happens you will have to pay back any overpayment, or you could be prosecuted. If you have received too much Council Tax Support this will be recalculated and you will then receive a revised Council Tax bill, which could result in you having a large sum of Council Tax to pay.

If you have not heard from us within 31 days of telling us about your change, you should contact us.

Contact us

Benefit Enquiries
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 4646