- Housing Benefit
- Benefit calculator
- Local Crisis Support
- Universal Credit
- Discretionary Housing Payments
- Challenge a benefit decision
- Benefit fraud
- Education benefits
- Claiming benefits if you're self-employed
- How your benefit could be reduced
- Benefits forms and leaflets
- Report a change in circumstances
Benefits support and advice
We have a number of teams who provide advice, guidance and support across welfare benefit and housing concerns. They can offer:
- Advice on claiming Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax support
- Check you're claiming full entitlements and help you claim for any new or increased benefits
0191 433 4646
Benefit Enquiry Office, Civic Centre, Regent Street, Gateshead, NE8 1HH
Debt and housing support advice
We can give help and advice on managing your finances and dealing with housing issues.
- Help establish new repayment arrangements - including contacting creditors
- Give guidance on housing options to help you stay in your home
0191 433 3717
Housing Services, Civic Centre, Regent Street, Gateshead, NE8 1HH
Vet bill assistance
The People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) offers free veterinary care for cats, dogs and other small pets when owners cannot afford private vet bills.
You must contact the PDSA to register for this service. They will contact us with your permission, so we can confirm your eligibility. You do not need to come and see us to get a copy of your benefit letter.
Discretionary Housing Payment
In certain circumstances you can apply for a discretionary housing payment to help towards your rent.