Toggle menu

Benefits support and advice

We have a number of teams who provide advice, guidance and support across welfare benefit and housing concerns.

Welfare Benefits take-up

We can offer: 

  • Advice on claiming Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax support
  • Check you're claiming full entitlements and help you claim for any new or increased benefits

Contact us

0191 433 3677
Benefit Enquiry Office, Civic Centre, Regent Street, Gateshead, NE8 1HH

Debt and housing support advice

We can give help and advice on managing your finances and dealing with housing issues.

  • Help establish new repayment arrangements - including contacting creditors
  • Give guidance on housing options to help you stay in your home

Contact us

0191 433 3717
Housing Services, Civic Centre, Regent Street, Gateshead, NE8 1HH

Vet bill assistance

The People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) offers free veterinary care for cats, dogs and other small pets when owners cannot afford private vet bills.

You must contact the PDSA to register for this service. They will contact us with your permission, so we can confirm your eligibility. You do not need to come and see us to get a copy of your benefit letter.

Discretionary Housing Payment

In certain circumstances you can apply for a discretionary housing payment to help towards your rent.

External links

Age UK Gateshead


DWP benefits advisor service

DWP Homepage

Gateshead Advice Centre

Money made clear

National debt line

Sight Service Gateshead

Shelter (Newcastle)

Stop Loan Sharks

Help us improve this site by giving feedback