Discretionary Housing Payments

If your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (including the housing costs element) award does not cover the full amount of your rent you could apply for extra financial help.

You can also apply if you were getting help towards your housing costs through Universal Credit and you have moved part way through your Universal Credit assessment period into:

  • temporary accommodation provided by the council because you are homeless;
  • supported accommodation where you receive care, support and supervision provided by or on behalf of your landlord;
  • a refuge;
  • a council hostel.

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit you must provide proof of your rent, for example a tenancy agreement or a signed letter from your landlord.

Awards are discretionary, based on the circumstances of each case. Awards are for a limited time.

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment to help towards your rent.

Apply now

Where we will not make awards

Discretionary Housing Payments cannot be made towards:

  • water, fuel or other service charges included in your rent
  • rent arrears

How payments are made:

If you receive Housing Benefit any Discretionary Housing Payment will be paid with Housing Benefit. If you are receiving Universal Credit it will be paid directly to you.

Other support available

Visit our benefits support and advice page for more information.

External links

Age UK Gateshead


Gov.uk benefits calculator 

Department for Work and Pensions

Citizens Advice - Gateshead Advice Centre

National Debtline


Shelter North East

Contact us

Revenues and Benefits 
Corporate Resources 
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 3703 during office hours

Share this page