Toggle menu

Financial advice

We can help you to:

  • make and manage benefit claims, including Universal Credit
  • appeal benefit decisions
  • apply for grants
  • pay water rates
  • access affordable furniture
  • save energy and make energy top-ups
  • access food banks
  • find where to open bank or credit union accounts
  • get employment advice

Contact the Advice and Support Team:

Phone: 0191 433 6161

Claiming benefits

Many more people are entitled to benefits than receive them. It costs nothing to apply or check, so make sure you don't miss out.

Even if you are working you may be entitled to some form of benefit if you are on a low income.

Many Gateshead residents will have to apply for Universal Credit if they are making a new claim for benefits.

If you need help to make or manage your claim, contact our Advice and Support Team.

If you do make a claim for Universal Credit, you will still need to make a claim for Council Tax Support.

Apply for benefits

Apply for government benefits at GOV.UK (opens new window)

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice Gateshead (opens new window) is an independent service.

Visit their website or call them on 0344 245 1288.


Citizens Advice Gateshead

Davidson Building 
Swan Street

Credit union/savings

Credit unions provide simple, secure savings accounts and loans at interest rates that are much lower than many loan providers (especially doorstep lenders, payday loan companies and pawn brokers).

NEFIRST Credit Union (opens new window)

Anyone who lives or works in the North East is eligible to join.

Phone: 0330 055 3666


Unit 12
Jackson House
Jackson Street


Online money manager tool

At some point, most people get into difficulty with their finances and may need a little help. To check your financial health and get help with budgeting online, try the MoneyHelper Money Manager tool (opens new window).

If you prefer to speak to someone, here are some services in Gateshead that can help you: