Help with furniture
There are two ways we can help you furnish your home.
Foundations Furniture Scheme
We work with local charity Foundations Furniture Scheme, which offers low-cost second-hand furniture and electrical items to households in Gateshead who are experiencing hardship.
Foundations also has a range of new beds and mattresses, working with NEFIRST Credit Union to offer affordable weekly payment options.
Furniture leasing scheme
Council tenants can lease furniture from us - see the full list below.
To make the scheme as flexible as possible we have given every item a points value.
You decide the furniture you need and add up the points.
The number of points will give you an option size - there are five different option sizes and the price increases as the option size gets bigger.
There are five packages available, each with a varying number of points and costs. Prices are correct from 17 October 2023.
Number of points
Total charge per week for a 50-week period
Please note, the weekly leasing charge can be covered by housing benefit or Universal Credit depending on your circumstances.
Points values of items
- Wardrobe - 12 points
- Chest of drawers - 9 points
- Single divan bed - 14 points
- Single headboard - 4 points
- Single bedding set (one per bed) - 9 points
- Double divan bed - 18 points
- Double headboard - 5 points
- Double bedding set (one per bed) - 12 points
- Bunk beds including mattresses - 28 points
- Travel cot, including mattress and bedding - 12 points.
- Two-seater brown leatherette sofa - 22 points
- Easy chair in brown leatherette - 14 points
- Two-seater brown fabric sofa - 20 points
- Easy chair in brown fabric - 14 points
- Rug (182cm x 265cm) - 9 points
- Dining table - 6 points
- Dining chair (each) - 2 points
- Coffee table - 4 points
- Electric cooker - 16 points
- Fridge freezer - 18 points or under bench fridge with freezer box - 10 points
- Washing machine - 15 points
- Condenser dryer - 15 points
- Microwave - 5 points
- Kitchen pack (includes kettle, 16-piece cutlery and crockery sets, seven-piece utensil set, five-piece pan set and three tea towels) - 10 points
- Lawnmower, strimmer, hand shears, spade, fork, RCD and extension cable - 18 points
- Vacuum cleaner - 7 points
- Steam iron and ironing board - 6 points
- Three-piece towel set - 2 points
How to apply
Choose the items you need and add up their equivalent points to establish which option size you need.
The Furniture Leasing Scheme can be discussed and arranged when you sign up to your tenancy. Referrals are sent to the Furnished Tenancy Team who will confirm whether you are eligible for the scheme and the option size you have chosen. Please note that we will take into account the size of your property and the number of people in your household. We will also consider whether you have any housing related debt owed to Gateshead Council.
If you are already an existing tenant and wish to enquire about the scheme, email the the Furnished Tenancy Team direct.
Maintaining the furniture
If there are any issues with the furniture you receive you must email or call the Furnished Tenancy Scheme 0191 433 6181. We will arrange for a replacement item if necessary.
You are also required to contact the Furnished Tenancy Team if you are moving out or transferring to another Gateshead Council property.