Help with furniture
There are two ways we can help you furnish your home.
Foundations Furniture Scheme
We work with local charity Foundations Furniture Scheme, which offers low-cost second-hand furniture and electrical items to households in Gateshead who are experiencing hardship.
Foundations also has a range of new beds and mattresses, working with NEFIRST Credit Union to offer affordable weekly payment options.
Furniture leasing scheme
You can lease furniture from us - see the full list below.
To make the scheme as flexible as possible we have given every item a points value.
You decide the furniture you need and add up the points.
The number of points will give you an option size - there are five different option sizes and the price increases as the option size gets bigger.
There are five packages available, each with a varying number of points and costs. Prices are correct from 17 November 2020:
Number of points
Total charge per week for a 50-week period
Points values of items
- Wardrobe - 12 points
- Chest of drawers - 9 points
- Single divan bed (add a headboard for an extra 4 points) - 14 points
- Single bedding set (one per bed) - 9 points
- Double divan bed (add a headboard for an extra 5 points) - 18 points
- Double bedding set (one per bed) - 12 points
- Bunk beds including mattresses - 28 points
- Travel cot, including mattress and bedding - 12 points.
- Two-seater brown leatherette sofa (maximum of two) - 22 points
- Easy chair in brown leatherette (maximum of two) - 14 points
- Two-seater fabric sofa (chocolate or beige) (maximum of two) - 20 points
- Easy chair in fabric chocolate or beige (maximum of two) - 14 points
- Cream rug (182cm x 265cm) - 9 points
- Dining table - 6 points
- Dining chair (each - up to four) - 2 points
- Coffee table - 4 points.
- Electric cooker - 16 points
- Fridge freezer - 18 points or under bench fridge with freezer box - 10 points
- Washing machine - 15 points
- Condenser dryer - 15 points
- Microwave - 5 points
- Kitchen pack (includes kettle, 16-piece cutlery and crockery sets, seven-piece utensil set, five-piece pan set and three tea towels) - 10 points.
- Lawnmower, strimmer, hand shears, spade, fork, RCD and extension cable - 18 points.
- Vacuum cleaner - 7 points
- Steam iron and ironing board - 6 points
- Three-piece towel set - 2 points.
How to apply
Choose the items you need (you may be able to order more than one of some items, such as single beds), add up their equivalent points, then check which option you need.
Then contact us to confirm you are eligible for the option you've chosen - we will take into account the size of your property and the number of people in your household.
Once we have agreed the best package for you, you will need to complete the appropriate paperwork at one of our housing offices.
Maintaining the furniture
If there are any issues with the furniture you receive you must email the Furnished Tenancy Scheme. We will arrange for a replacement item if necessary.