Due to essential updates, My Housing Account will be unavailable from 5pm to 6pm on Tuesday 21 May
If you need to contact us during this time, please visit www.gateshead.gov.uk/housingcontact. If you need to report an emergency home repair please call 0800 408 6008.
Toggle menu

House inspection for immigration

If you have a relative coming to live with you from abroad, Gateshead Council must carry out an inspection of your home to ensure that it meets the legal minimum standard. The Council will also need to make sure that it will not be overcrowded when your relative arrives.

You can request an inspection by phoning Customer Services on 0191 433 3000 to arrange a convenient time for the inspection. Please note: an inspection cannot take place until the correct fee has been paid.

At the inspection, you will be required to provide the following;

  • Documentation from the immigration authorities to show that you are in the process of making an application for your relative. This might take the form of a letter or official form from the relevant High Commission or Embassy. The documentation must include your relatives name and the reference number associated with the application.
  • Proof of your ownership or tenancy of your home. This can include the Title Deed, a Mortgage Statement, correspondence from your mortgage provider or a current Tenancy Agreement. If you are not the owner we will require details of who owns the property.
  • Any additional documentation to support what you have told us.

You will be asked to show the officer around the whole of your home, explaining who lives in the house, and which rooms they sleep in.

During the inspection, the officer will make a judgement on whether your home is suitable and safe for occupation, and whether it would become overcrowded by the addition of the your relative.

You may be asked additional questions if anything is unclear.

When the inspection is complete, you will receive a letter, usually within 7 days of the inspection that will state:

  • Your name and the name(s) of the person(s) seeking entry to the UK.
  • The address of your home.
  • Who owns and who occupies the property.
  • Whether your home provides is a safe and healthy place for any potential occupier or visitor
  • Whether your home would be overcrowded by the addition of your relative
  • The name of the officer to contact for further information.

You are then responsible for ensuring that letter is received by the appropriate authority in support of the application for immigration.

Important Information:

  • An inspection will not be carried out until the correct fee has been received. A variety of ways to pay are available, these will be set out in writing to you as soon as your request for an inspection is received
  • The Council will not supply any letters to support the application for immigration unless an inspection has been carried out.
  • The immigration authorities will not accept letters that are greater than 12 weeks old. If your letter expires, the Council will need to carry out another inspection, incurring another fee.  Don't request the inspection of your home until you are ready to submit your application to the immigration authorities
  • The Council reserves the right to make a charge for the supply of copies of the letter at a later date.

Contact us

Private Sector Housing
Civic Centre

0191 433 2350