Pelaw Quarry Pond Local Nature Reserve
Pelaw Quarry Pond was formerly the site of the Jones Brothers Brickworks, established in 1895. In its heyday the brickworks was the largest manufacturer of high quality bricks in the North East. Clay and shale were extracted from the large quarry put, which was later flooded creating a pond. Today the pond, grassland and woodland are home to a wealth of animals, plants and insects. In recognition of its importance for both people and wildlife, Pelaw Quarry Pond has been declared a Local Nature Reserve, which means it can be enjoyed by everyone for years to come.