Toggle menu

Street naming and numbering

Addresses are important as they give police, emergency services, and the general public a way of locating and referencing properties. 

We are the Street Naming and Numbering Authority for the area. It carries out these functions under the provisions of the Public Health Act 1925 sections 17 -19.

How do I add a house name to my address?

Most properties have a number. The owner can add a name to their property, but must agree any proposed name with the council. This ensures that it will not conflict with an existing property name in that locality, and to ensure that the name is registered on council records. The property number must still be displayed and referred to in any correspondence.

In the case of addresses where a house has no postal number, any house name change must be agreed as above.

If the requested name is not duplicated nearby, the name is accepted. In both cases, the property name change information is circulated to Royal Mail, utility service providers, emergency and essential services and other relevant Council Services.

Developing a single property or small development - How do I number properties?

You should contact us as soon as you commence work on site. A single or small development will usually be named or numbered into the existing street. If the property is within a numbered road, then often ABCs are used along with the adjoining number (for example 12A, 12B, 12C...).

Developing a large estate - How do I name new streets and number properties?

You should submit several street names for consideration. We will check your suggested street names for duplication in the local area and forward them to local ward councillors for consultation.

When we have an agreed name, we will then register the street name(s) and prepare a numbering schedule. The Royal Mail will be supplied with the new addresses and post codes will be supplied/reserved. The information is then sent to public utilities, emergency services, Land Registry, Ordnance Survey and relevant Council services. 

Where appropriate, you will be asked to provide new street name plates to our standard design from our approved supplier and at your cost.

What happens if a street needs renaming or renumbering?

On rare occasions it becomes necessary to rename or renumber a street. This is usually only done as a last resort when:

  • There is confusion over a street's name and or numbering
  • New properties are built in a street and there is a need for other properties to be renumbered to accommodate the new properties
  • The number of named-only properties in a street is deemed to be causing confusion for visitors, the delivery or emergency services Existing residents will be contacted and their views taken into account.
  • The Royal Mail are consulted for their opinion on the issue. To change a street name we will ballot the local residents on the issue.

New postal numbers are allocated to affected properties and the details sent to residents, utility service providers and emergency services.

Contact us

Highways Management
Transport Strategy
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 3172