Parents with children of statutory school age who either
- move into Gateshead and need a school place,
- or are resident in Gateshead and wish to change their child's school,
must complete a. Paper copies are available from the School Admissions Team on telephone number 0191 433 8589.
If you are moving to a new house, we will need a copy of the exchange of contracts or a rental agreement before we consider the new address.
We can not offer school places on the basis of intended future changes of address unless you can provide the relevant documentary evidence.
Year groups in some schools may be full and may not have places available when you move house or decide to transfer your child from one school to another. Unfortunately, we cannot hold places back for parents who decide in the future to move into a particular area.
The offer of a place at any school is dependent on the availability of places in the relevant year group at the time of application.
Application form and process
If you need a place in a Gateshead school you must complete a. The application form allows you to express a preference for up to three schools in Gateshead.
- All persons with parental responsibility for the child must agree to the request before the form is completed.
- Section A and C of the form must be complete before the form can be processed.
- If you are new to the UK from overseas, you must also complete Section B of the form. Attach the relevant documents as evidence, for example child's passport or ID card.
- Send the completed form to your child's current school where possible for them to complete Section C. They will then forward the completed form to the School Admissions Team.
- Once we receive your completed form, we will send a copy to the relevant schools. Primary and secondary schools both have 10 school days to respond to the request, advising if a place is available.
- If any of your preferences is for a faith school, they may contact you for further information to verify your child's religion.
- You can complete a school transfer form up to a maximum of six weeks before the school place is needed. If your request is for your child to transfer school at the start of a new academic year, for example September, you can complete a form for a school transfer by June of that year. You have up to six weeks before the start of the summer holidays.
- We cannot guarantee that your child will be offered a place at one of your chosen schools. This will depend on the availability of places at the schools you request.
- We will notify you of the outcome of your request.
Refusals and appeals
If we cannot offer your child a place at one of your chosen schools, we will let you know which other schools have places available.
We will also notify you in writing of your right to appeal. Appeal forms are available from the School Admissions Team.
Completed appeal forms must be returned to:
Corporate Services and Governance
Your appeal will be heard within 30 school days following the date of receipt.
Vacant places may arise before the date of the appeal hearing. Where this happens, the school will offer the vacant place to the child that is top of their waiting list. They will use the admission criteria set out within their admission policy.
Appeal forms for Voluntary Aided Schools are available from the school.
If year groups are full the school will maintain a waiting list. Any vacancies which may arise will be offered using this list. If you would like your child's name placed on the waiting list for a school, you must contact the school to request this. If a place becomes available and is offered to your child, you must then complete a school transfer form to take up this offer.
Children with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
School transfer requests for children with an EHCP will be referred to the Special Educational Needs Team. They will work with parents to secure a place at a school where the specific needs of the child can be met.
Fair Access Protocol
Fair Access Protocols exist to ensure that access to education is secured for vulnerable children and young people who are without a school place and where a placement in a mainstream school or alternative provision is appropriate. For further information and to read the protocol and guidance visit fair access process.
The School Admissions Team
0191 433 2757 / 0191 433 2109 / 0191 433 2756