Parents with children of statutory school age who either
- move into Gateshead and need a school place,
- or are resident in Gateshead and wish to change their child's school to another Gateshead school
If you are moving to a new house, we will need a copy of the exchange of contracts or a rental agreement before we consider the new address.
We can not offer school places on the basis of intended future changes of address unless you can provide the relevant documentary evidence.
Year groups in some schools may be full and may not have places available when you move house or decide to transfer your child from one school to another. Unfortunately, we cannot hold places back for parents who decide in the future to move into a particular area.
The offer of a place at any school is dependent on the availability of places in the relevant year group at the time of application.
If you want to apply for a transfer to schools outside Gateshead, you must contact the relevant local authority and request their in-year transfer form. We cannot process requests for schools that are outside Gateshead, nor can we process requests to Emmanuel College.
Applying for a school place if you are a family arriving from Ukraine
To find out more, visit the Gov.uk website.
Please contact email@example.com or 0191 433 8589 if you have any further questions with regards to admission to schools.
Application form and process
- all persons with parental responsibility for the child must agree to the request before the form is completed
- sections A and C of the form must be complete before the form can be processed
- if you are new to the UK from overseas, or are moving to the UK within the next 6 weeks, you must also complete Section B of the form. Attach the relevant documents as evidence, for example child's passport or ID card
- send the completed form to your child's current school where possible for them to complete Section C. They will then forward the completed form to the School Admissions Team
- once we receive your completed form, we will send a copy to the relevant schools - primary and secondary schools both have 10 school days to respond to the request, advising if a place is available
- if any of your preferences is for a faith school, they may contact you for further information to verify your child's religion
- you can complete a school transfer form up to a maximum of six weeks before the school place is needed
If your request is for your child to transfer school at the start of a new academic year, for example September, you can complete a form for a school transfer by June of that year. You have up to six weeks before the start of the summer holidays
- we cannot guarantee that your child will be offered a place at one of your chosen schools - this will depend on the availability of places at the schools you request
- we will notify you of the outcome of your request
Evidence checklist for in-year school application
As part of the school admission process, you may need to provide supporting evidence with your application form.
Serving members of the UK armed forces or crown servants
If you are currently a serving member of the regular UK Armed Forces with a posting to the area or a Crown Servant returning from overseas, please provide the following:
- an official Ministry of Defence, Foreign Commonwealth Office or Government Communication Head Quarters letter confirming your relocation date and quartering address
Looked after children (LAC), previously looked after children and children in state care outside of England who have been adopted
Please provide documents that we can accept as proof of looked after or previously looked after status:
- adoption certificates or orders that reference section 12 of the Adoption Act
- adoption certificates or orders that reference Section 46 of the Children's Act
- any Child Arrangement Order
- any Special Guardianship Order that mentions Section 14A
- any residence order issued prior to 22/04/2014
- written confirmation from an involved council employee (ideally the assigned Social Worker)
- a document saying they are currently in public care
- a document saying they are formerly in public care when the applicant notes this on their application
We will also require a letter or email from the social worker involved with the child to say that they are in agreement with the application.
If you are applying under the social/medical category, you will need to provide independent evidence from a health professional such as a consultant. This should state the school you are applying for is the only school your child can attend and the reason why.
Proof of parental responsibility
Where there is any doubt about parental responsibility we will ask you to provide proof of parental responsibility. In such cases, whatever you choose to provide will be entirely up to you. However,
it must indicate that you have parental responsibility.
Examples of documents that prove parental responsibility include:
- the child's birth certificate
- parental responsibility agreement entered into by birth parents
- copy of a court order giving father parental responsibility
- Child Arrangement Order in respect of the child Adoption Order
- upon taking office as a formally appointed guardian of the child
This should be accompanied with proof that you are the person named e.g. passport.
Refusals and appeals
If we cannot offer your child a place at one of your chosen schools, we will let you know which other schools have places available.
We will also notify you in writing of your right to appeal. Appeal forms are available from the School Admissions Team.
Completed appeal forms must be returned to:
Corporate Services and Governance
Your appeal will be heard within 30 school days following the date of receipt.
Vacant places may arise before the date of the appeal hearing. Where this happens, the school will offer the vacant place to the child that is top of their waiting list. They will use the admission criteria set out within their admission policy.
Appeal forms for Voluntary Aided Schools are available from the school.
If year groups are full the school will maintain a waiting list. Any vacancies which may arise will be offered using this list. If you would like your child's name placed on the waiting list for a school, you must contact the school to request this. If a place becomes available and is offered to your child, you must then complete a school transfer form to take up this offer.
Applications for University Technical Colleges (UTCs)
UTC's are technical colleges for 14-19 year olds set up by universities and businesses. Visit our applications for UTCs page if you would like to find out more information and how to apply for a University Technical College (UTC).
Children with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
School transfer requests for children with an EHCP will be referred to the Special Educational Needs Team. They will work with parents to secure a place at a school where the specific needs of the child can be met.
Fair Access Protocol
Fair Access Protocols exist to ensure that access to education is secured for vulnerable children and young people who are without a school place and where a placement in a mainstream school or alternative provision is appropriate. For further information and to read the protocol and guidance visit fair access process.
Education Support Service
The School Admissions Team
0191 433 8589