Primary school admissions
Primary school admissions 2023
You can apply online for your child's primary school place between Friday 9 September 2022 and Sunday 15 January 2023.
Please read the admissions information booklet before you apply to help you understand the admissions process and make an informed choice.
Make sure you look at the Admission to primary school booklet (PDF) [737KB] before you apply. It contains essential information that will help you decide which school's to apply to, including:
- admission policies
- the criteria used if a school is oversubscribed
- information on how places are offered
- the number of applications received for previous years
- the number of places offered for previous years
- details of the last distance offered
You may want to arrange a visit to the schools you are interested in applying to before submitting your application.
- we recommend you apply to three schools - applying for only one school does not improve your chance of being offered a place at the school
- your child's attendance at a nursery does not guarantee or increase your chances of being offered place at your chosen school
- check all the details you enter on your form are correct, including the details of any older siblings your child may have, already attending the school you apply to.
- you must complete the 'Faith Details' section of the form if you apply to a Catholic school
- we cannot guarantee your child a place at any school you apply to, even if they live in the catchment area or have a sibling already at the school, as this will depend upon the number of applications the school receives
- if your child is summer born (born between 1 April 2019 and 31 August 2019) and you want to request that their admission to school is deferred, please read this information on how to apply.
- If any of your preferences is for a school outside Gateshead, you must look at their admission policy before you apply
- you must apply by 15 January 2023
Reception and junior admissions timeline
|9 September 2022||Online system opens for parents to apply|
|15 January 2023||Closing date for submitting applications|
|17 April 2023||Offer letters and emails sent to parents|
|19 May 2023||Any places that become available will be offered from the schools waiting list|
|June/July 2023||Appeals heard|
For more information, view our questions about the primary school admissions process.
Ofsted are changing the way they inspect and report on schools. Find out about the Education Inspection Framework and how the changes might effect you as a parent/guardian.
Education Support Service
School Admissions Team
0191 433 2756 / 0191 433 2757