- Before you apply
- School admission arrangements
- Secondary school admissions
- How we offer places
- Nursery admissions
- In-year transfers
- Admissions in neighbouring authorities
- Explanation of terms
- Appealing against admission decisions
- School admissions contacts
- School catchment areas
- Applications for University Technical Colleges (UTCs)
Primary school admissions
You can apply online for your child's primary school place between Friday 11 September 2020 and Friday 15 January 2021.
Make sure you look at the Admission to primary school booklet [548.44KB] before you apply. It contains essential information, including:
- admission policies
- the criteria that will be used if a school is oversubscribed
- information on how places are offered
- the number of applications received for previous years
- the number of places offered for previous years
- details of the last distance offered for oversubscribed schools
You may want to arrange a visit to the schools you are interested in applying to before submitting your application.
- we recommend you apply to three schools. Applying for only one school does not improve your chance of being offered a place at the school
- your child's attendance at a nursery does not guarantee or improve your chances of being offered a place at your chosen school
- check all the details you enter on your form are correct, including the details of any older siblings your child may have, already attending the school you apply to.
- you must complete the 'Faith details' section of the form if you apply to a Catholic school
- we cannot guarantee your child a place at any school you apply to, even if you live in the catchment area or have a sibling already at the school, as this will depend upon the number of applications the school receives
- if your child is summer born (born between 1 April 2018 and 31 August 2018) and you want to request that their admission to school is deferred, please contact the school admissions team on the numbers below for further information on how to apply.
- If any of your preferences is for a school outside Gateshead, please ensure you read their admission policy and arrangements before you apply
- you must submit your application by 15 January 2021
Admission age ranges for September 2021
|If your child was born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017||Your child is due to start reception class in September 2021. You can apply online for a school place from 11 September 2020 until 15 January 2021.|
|If your child was born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014||If your child attends an infant school, they are due to start junior school in September 2021. You can apply online for a junior school place from 11 September 2020 until 15 January 2021.|
Reception and junior admissions timeline
|11 September 2020||Online system opens for parents to apply|
|15 January 2021||Closing date for submitting applications|
|16 April 2021||Offer letters and emails sent to parents|
|30 April 2021||Parents must accept places by this date|
|21 May 2021||Any places that become available will be offered from the schools waiting list|
|June/July 2021||Appeals heard|
For more information, view our questions about the primary school admissions process.
Ofsted are changing the way they inspect and report on schools. Find out about the Education Inspection Framework and how the changes might effect you as a parent/guardian.
The School Admissions Team
0191 433 2756 / 0191 433 2757