Primary school admissions
Primary school admissions 2022
You can apply online for your child's primary school place between Friday 10 September 2021 and Saturday 15 January 2022.
Make sure you look at thebefore you apply. You may want to arrange a visit to the schools you are interested in applying to before submitting your application.
- we recommend you apply to three schools. Applying for only one school does not improve your chance of being offered a place at the school
- your child's attendance at a nursery does not guarantee or improve your chances of being offered a place at your chosen school
- check all the details you enter on your form are correct, including the details of any older siblings your child may have, already attending the school you apply to.
- you must complete the 'Faith details' section of the form if you apply to a Catholic school
- we cannot guarantee your child a place at any school you apply to, even if you live in the catchment area or have a sibling already at the school, as this will depend upon the number of applications the school receives
- if your child is summer born (born between 1 April 2018 and 31 August 2018) and you want to request that their admission to school is deferred, please contact the school admissions team on the numbers below for further information on how to apply.
- If any of your preferences is for a school outside Gateshead, please ensure you read their admission policy and arrangements before you apply
- you must submit your application by 15 January 2022
Admission age ranges for September 2022
|If your child was born between 1 September 2017 and 31 August 2018||Your child is due to start reception class in September 2022. You can apply online for a school place from 10 September 2021 until 15 January 2022.|
|If your child was born between 1 September 2014 and 31 August 2015||If your child attends an infant school, they are due to start junior school in September 2022. You can apply online for a junior school place from 10 September 2021 until 15 January 2022.|
Reception and junior admissions timeline
|10 September 2021||Online system opens for parents to apply|
|15 January 2022||Closing date for submitting applications|
|18 April 2022||Offer letters and emails sent to parents|
|29 April 2022||Parents must accept places by this date|
|20 May 2022||Any places that become available will be offered from the schools waiting list|
|June/July 2022||Appeals heard|
For more information, view our questions about the primary school admissions process.
Ofsted are changing the way they inspect and report on schools. Find out about the Education Inspection Framework and how the changes might effect you as a parent/guardian.
The School Admissions Team
0191 433 2756 / 0191 433 2757