Toggle menu

Blocked road drain or gully

On this page:

Types of drains we are responsible for
Report a blocked road drain or gully


Road gullies are usually found at the edge of the road where the road meets the pavement. They allow water to drain away from roads and footpaths to prevent flooding. 

We aim to visit all reports within two working days to inspect the problem. 

For non-emergency reports, it can take up to eight weeks for problems to be resolved. If it's considered an emergency or safety risk by our inspection team, we will carry out work as quickly as operationally possible.  

We empty gullies regularly of debris, silt and litter. If you think a gully needs emptying or unblocking sooner as it's causing a problem on a road or footpath, please report the issue using our online form below.

If the drain is on the A1 or A194, please contact Highways England (opens new window) on 0300 123 5000.

Type of drains we are responsible for

We are only responsible for road gullies. We are not responsible for public sewers or river related issues.

If you are unsure who is responsible for a drainage issue, you can contact Northumbrian Water (opens new window) on 0845 717 1100, or read our drainage and sewers page.

Report a blocked road drain or gully

You can report a blocked road drain or gully in Gateshead to us.  

You will need to know the location of the gully. You can also upload a photo of the issue to help our team to locate the correct drain.

Report a blocked road drain or gully

Alternatively, you can call our customer service team on 0191 433 7000.