Toggle menu

Personal licences

A personal licence allows the holder to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol in a venue or property which has a premises licence. Personal licences are not tied to a specific premises meaning holders of such licences can authorise sales of alcohol in any venue which have a premises licence, throughout England and Wales. Personal licence holders can also authorise up to 50 temporary event notices in each calendar year subject to certain restrictions.

A personal licence may not be issued to an individual who is resident in the UK but does not have the right to live and work in the UK. A licence will also not be issued to an individual who is subject to a condition preventing him or her from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity.

Any personal licence issued in respect of an application made on or after 6 April 2017 will become invalid if the holder ceases to be entitled to work in the UK. 

New applicants

Before you can apply for a personal licence you must obtain an accredited licensing qualification. The aim of the qualification is to ensure that licence holders are aware of the licensing law and the wider social responsibilities involved in the sale of alcohol. This training is not provided by Gateshead Council and must be sought externally. Further information about the licensing qualifications can be obtained direct from the Home Office website (opens new window).

To apply for a personal licence you will need to complete the following application forms:

You will also require two 'passport' photos, one of which must be endorsed as a true likeness. In addition you need to provide a basic criminal convictions check. The disclosure certificate must be no older than 1 month when submitted with the completed application. Basic checks can be obtained from the website. (opens new window)

The fee for a personal licence is £37.

Applicants must demonstrate that they have the right to work in the UK and are not subject to a condition preventing them form doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity.

Documents which demonstrate entitlement to work in the UK (Word doc) [92KB] (opens new window)

Please submit your completed application including the forms and accompanying documentation either by post or in person to the address below. Cheques should be made payable to Gateshead Council. 

Change of name or address

Gateshead Council personal licence holders only. If you are a personal licence holder and wish to inform us of your change of address, simply write to the Licensing Section (see contact details below) with the details, enclose the fee of £10.50 and your current licence (both card and paper licence). If you are licensed with another council you will need to contact that council directly.

If you wish to change your name because you have had a change of circumstance, please provide a copy of your marriage certificate, decree absolute or deed poll documentation and the fee of £10.50.

Please note that the holder of a personal licence must, as soon as reasonably practicable, notify the relevant licensing authority of any change in his name or address. Failing to do so is an offence under the Licensing Act 2003. If you are also a premises licence holder or designated premises supervisor, please be aware you will also have to apply to change the premises licence to reflect any changes. 

Replacement licence

You can get a replacement card and paper licence by sending £10.50 to us along with the reason you need a replacement. If you think your licence has been stolen, you should report it to the police.

Personal Licence Renewals

From 1 April 2015 it is no longer necessary to renew a personal licence. Section 115 of the Licensing Act 2003 has been amended by Section 69 of the Deregulation Act 2015, removing the requirement to renew personal licences.

View the revised guidance on personal licenses (PDF) [1MB] (opens new window) from page 21 onward.

Contact us

Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 4741