Information - Covid 19
Temporary Screen Guidance for Gateshead Council Licensed Vehicles (PDF) [24KB]
COVID-19: safer transport guidance for operators
COVID-19: decontamination in non-healthcare settings
Stay at home: guidance for people with confirmed or possible coronavirus (COVID-19) infection
Taxi and Private Hire Licensing
Gateshead Council are responsible for the Licensing of the following within the Borough of Gateshead:
- Hackney Carriage Vehicles
- Hackney Carriage Drivers
- Private Hire Vehicles
- Private Hire Drivers
- Private Hire Operators
Applying to be a Licensed Driver with Gateshead Council
You will need to obtain a drivers badge (either Hackney Carriage, Private Hire or Dual) if you wish to work as a driver in the Gateshead area.
When considering applying for a Licence it is advised to read the Policy (PDF) [256KB] prior to submitting an application.
We have an application process for new drivers which begins with a basic screening form. If you have any queries regarding the screening form, please email our Licensing inbox.
Once we have checked your screening form and confirmed you are eligible to proceed, you will then receive a driver application pack via email which contains the following:
- Knowledge Test Revision Booklet (This test is mandatory for both Hackney Carriage and Private Hire applicants).
- Driver Application Form
- Group 2 Medical Certificate
- Guidance on acceptable forms of ID for a DBS application
Once ready to sit the Knowledge Test, please contact the team via email and further information will be provided on the next steps in the application process.
Tax Conditionality Check - for new and existing drivers
From Monday 4 April 2022 all individuals will need to complete a tax check when applying or renewing a licence in England and Wales. If a tax check is not completed, The Licensing Authority will be unable to consider the application and this will mean in the case of renewals, your current licence will expire.
The following links may assist you in preparing for the new tax conditionality checks:
- Tax Check Fact Sheet
- Changes for Taxi and Private Hire Applications from April 2022
- Licence Application Tax Check - Communications Resources
- Help and Support for the HMRC Personal Tax Account
- Use HMRC'S Business Tax Account
- Generate a Tax Check Code
The Equality Act 2010
List of Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (Correct as of August 2022)
(opens new window)
is designated for the purposes of Section 165 of the above Act.
Hackney carriage and private hire documents
- Hackney Carriage Driver Conditions (PDF) [183KB] (opens new window)
- Private Hire Driver Conditions (PDF) [180KB] (opens new window)
- Policy on the relevance of criminal conduct and complaints against licence holders (PDF) [256KB] (opens new window)
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Tariff - Updated August 2022 (PDF) [209KB] (opens new window)
- Vehicle Application Form (PDF) [61KB] (opens new window)
- Private Hire Operator Application Form (PDF) [273KB] (opens new window)
- Private Hire Operator Conditions (PDF) [361KB] (opens new window)
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Conditions (PDF) [84KB] (opens new window)
- Private Hire Vehicle Conditions (PDF) [76KB] (opens new window)
0191 433 4741
Taxi Vehicle Testing
0191 433 7433