- Find childcare
- Gateshead Children's Centres
- Family Information Service and directory
- Free early education and childcare
- Toy Library
- Information for early years childcare professionals
- Information for childminders
- Concerns about a childcare provider
- Flexible working
- Gateshead's Local Offer (special educational needs)
Training terms and conditions
To ensure that courses are able to run smoothly and with a maximum attendance it is important that you read the following information in relation to course bookings.
- When considering a course please ensure you belong to the appropriate target audience.
- Bookings are taken on a first come first served basis.
- Unless otherwise stated, settings will be allocated a maximum of two places per course.
- Ensure that you are aware of any charges that might apply to training prior to booking.
- Requests for training (unless otherwise stated) will only be accepted by requests made via the Provider Portal. Please ensure that your contact details are up to date on the portal.
- You are advised to make a note of the course date, time and venue in your diary upon completing an online booking request.
- You are required to arrive in good time for the start of all training. The times advertised are the start and finish times of the training, you are strongly advised to be at the venue at least five minutes prior to the start of the training in order to be directed to the correct room and to be seated prior to the training starting.
- Delegates arriving late to events can disrupt the flow of the sessions. Trainers are entitled to turn away late comers. If you are refused entry to a training event because you are late the cancellation and non attendance policy will be applied.
- Delegates will have their qualification and training information stored on a database monitoring system that is managed by Gateshead Early Years and Childcare Service.
- When attending 'EYFS Related training' you are advised to bring a copy of the revised Statutory Framework with you for reference - Gateshead Early Years and Childcare Service are unable to provide hard copies of this document.
- Where a course you wish to attend is oversubscribed you will be informed that the course is full. If a place does become
- available, you will be notified.
- For all courses (apart from Designated Person and Child Protection Training) a confirmation/course full email will be sent out to you on receiving your booking. If you do not receive confirmation and the date of the course you wish to attend is getting near please contact email@example.com.
- For Designated Person/Child Protection Training a confirmation/course full email will be sent four weeks before the training date.
- Delegates must sign an attendance record at the start of each course to avoid any unnecessary charging.
- Please complete any evaluation requests for the courses as these allow us to assess course effectiveness and make changes where necessary.
- Lunch is not provided - you are advised to bring a packed lunch to full day courses.
- Refreshments are not provided - you are advised to bring a soft drink to training.
Training requests and booking process
- All training requests must be made online using the Provider Portal .
- For provider Portal enquiries only please contact matthewnaylor@Gateshead.Gov.UK or LorraineHurst@Gateshead.Gov.UK
- Please note that submitting a booking request does not guarantee a place on training. A confirmation or course full email will be sent on receiving your booking.
- For free of charge courses (apart from Designated Person, Designated Person Network Meeting and Child Protection Training) confirmation letters will be emailed within one week of your booking. For all Designated Person and Child Protection Training a confirmation letter will be emailed four weeks before the course start date.
- For courses that require payment, payment is required before confirmation of your place can be given. If payment has not been received, you will not be given a place.
- Places are limited, early booking is recommended.
- Unless otherwise stated, settings will be allocated a maximum of two places per course.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
It has been necessary to introduce charges to some of the courses advertised in the training directory. If you are a homebased childcare provider this policy applies to you. If you are from an organisation/setting then this policy does not apply to you individually but to your organisation/setting. Charges do not apply to Gateshead Council Children's Centre staff.
A charge of £71.00 per person will be made for the following course:
- Paediatric First Aid
Payment: On requesting a place on your portal for the First Aid Training, an invoice will be raised and emailed to you. Once payment has been received you will be notified and a confirmation of your place will be sent. Your place will not be confirmed until payment has been received. Places will be allocated on a first come basis, but only once payment has been received. There is a maximum of two people per setting for this course.
Please note we no longer issue certificates for training other than Basic Child Protection and Designated Person Training. Certificates for the training listed below will be issued by the training provider upon successful completion, however your name must have been booked on to the portal:
- Paediatric First Aid (both days must be attended by the same person)
Please check that any qualifications or training certificates you hold for the following courses are relevant and up to date.
- Paediatric First Aid
- Child Protection
- Designated Person Training (every 2 years)
Please refer to the EYFS requirements to ensure how often you need to update your certificates and to see if there are any changes that require you to attend further training (This is the relevant part of the current EYFS; At least one person who has a current paediatric first aid (PFA) certificate must be on the premises and available at all times when children are present, and must accompany children on outings. The certificate must be for a full course consistent with the criteria set out in Annex A. Childminders, and any assistant who might be in sole charge of the children for any period of time, must hold a full current PFA certificate. PFA training30 must be renewed every three years and be relevant for workers caring for young children and where relevant, babies. Providers should take into account the number of children, staff and layout of premises to ensure that a paediatric first aider is able to respond to emergencies quickly. All newly qualified31 entrants to the early years workforce who have completed a level 2 and/or level 3 qualification on or after 30 June 2016, must also have either a full PFA or an emergency PFA certificate within three months of starting work32 in order to be included in the required staff:child ratios at level 2 or level 3 in an early years setting33. Providers should display (or make available to parents) staff PFA certificates or a list of staff who have a current PFA certificate.)
Do not reserve places on training if your current certificate is valid for six months or more unless you have been required to attend by your manager, Ofsted or a member of the Early Years and Childcare Service Team or Education Gateshead.
- Cancellation and Non Attendance Policy
The Early Years & Childcare Service training courses are subsidised or free to private, voluntary and independent early years and childcare service providers and Children's Centre practitioners in Gateshead; they are arranged at a considerable cost to Gateshead Council's Early Years and Childcare Service. Therefore it is important that we get value for money and are able to train as many of our childcare providers as possible. It is for this reason that we must ensure that the training courses we provide are run to their maximum capacity. Places on courses have been reserved but individuals have not attended or have cancelled their place
without sufficient notice. We often have waiting lists for our courses and if we are not informed of cancellations we are unable to offer these places to other practitioners.
If you are a homebased childcare provider this policy applies to you. If you are from an organisation/setting then this policy does not apply to you individually but to your organisation/setting: A £70.00 cancellation fee to cover administration costs may be charged for any delegate failing to attend/complete a course, unless notice of cancellation is received at least 48 hours prior to the course start date. Any course cancellation must be emailed to email@example.com . You may send a colleague in your place if you are unable to attend (except for Paediatric First Aid), however you must advise FIS of this by email and add the staff member
on to the portal before the day of the training.
In the event of non-payment of due fees Gateshead Council will pursue legal action to recover the sum owing to it through the Councils debt recovery system. If payment is not provided, you/your setting may be unable to attend another course until the payment has been received. Delegates must sign an attendance record at the start of each course to avoid any unnecessary charging.
We reserve the right to cancel or amend the date/time of any sessions within this programme, due to low registration or for any other reason. Where we cancel or amend the date/time of any sessions, we will endeavour to give you as much notice as possible of the cancellation/amendment.
To cancel a place on a course contact: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Name of person you wish to cancel
- Setting name (Childminders - please include the first line of your address)
- Course name
- Course date
'Whole Setting' Child Protection Training
Gateshead Council's Early Years and Childcare Service are able to offer Child Protection training to settings who require a group of staff to be trained together. Settings who wish to commission this training will be charged for two members of Gateshead Council's Early Years and Childcare Service to deliver the training at the Tyneview Centre, Dryden Centre or within your own setting (subject to room and trainer availability). The cost of this training is £305.
Each request for training will be considered separately by the Early Years & Childcare Support team managers and will be prioritised according to need. A minimum of eight delegates and a maximum of twenty-four delegates can be trained (subject to venue capacity). Settings can 'merge' with other Gateshead childcare providers to reduce costs - in these cases the charge will be applied to the setting who completes the booking form.
It is the responsibility of the setting paying the invoice to make payment arrangements from other settings involved in the training. Gateshead Council's Early Years and Childcare Service are not responsible for any agreements (including cancellation / nonattendance) between settings.
If a commissioned course is cancelled by the setting money will not be refunded but an alternative date will be arranged between the appropriate provider and Early Years & Childcare Service staff.
Payment: Gateshead Council will invoice your setting for the cost of the course once the booking form has been received. Please complete the 'Whole Setting' Child Protection booking form and submit it to: email@example.com. Confirmation of the training session will only be sent once payment has been received.
We reserve the right to cancel or amend the date/time of 'whole setting' Basic Child Protection training, due to staff sickness or for any other reason. Where we cancel or amend the date/time of any sessions, we will endeavour to give you as much notice as possible and a re-arranged date will be agreed.
View the whole setting booking form.
Please arrive at the venue in good time as the reception at Dryden is not always staffed. You will then need to collect the door access code from Reception before making your way to the correct training room. You will need to check the screen above the desk to confirm your course room number. Please see the attached map for guidance as to where the rooms are located. For evening training, please wait in the reception area and a tutor will come and take you to your training room.
If you arrive late for your course please use the phone at reception and ring the room number: OD Room 1 - 8643 OD Room 2 - 8667 OD Room 3 - 8663 Emily Davis Room - 8765 Gladys Evans Room
Please note most of our training rooms used in Dryden are on the first floor. Stairs have to be used to access these rooms. There is no lift facility within the building. If you are unable to use or have difficulty with stairs please notify firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible so we can advise and plan accordingly.
Evening training at Dryden
Please use the car park entrance to exit the building at 20:30. The main reception doors are closed at 18:30.
Dryden Centre, Evistones Road, Low Fell, NE9 5UR. There is limited parking available at the centre.
Please park on the green highlighted areas below only (Dryden Road, Eastwood Gardens and Salkeld Road). Do not park on the red highlighted areas (Shotley Gardens or Evistones Road) as parking tickets will be issued
Tyneview Centre (Millennium Hall)
Please arrive at the venue in good time for training. There is no reception at the Tyneview Centre. The building is accessible by an intercom entry system.
Tyneview Centre, Rose Street, Teams, Gateshead, NE8 2LS. There is adequate parking available at the venue.