Toggle menu

Someone to speak on my behalf

If someone speaks on your behalf, they are commonly known as an advocate.

An advocate will represent your best interests and, if you are vulnerable, will ensure you are safeguarded from harm. The role of an advocate is to ensure people who may not be able to represent their views clearly can be supported to make their own decisions about the care and support they receive. This may be people with learning disabilities or mental ill health issues, or even older people. 

Advocates remain independent from social care providers, they will not try to influence the decision-maker or put forward their own views. The council does not provide an advocacy service, but some local organisations do and they can assist you in finding an advocate.

Find advocacy services

Other contacts

Citizens Advice Bureau
The Davison Building
Swan Street
0344 826 9800 (opens new window)


Contact Adult Social Care

There are many ways to contact the adult social care team, both online and over the phone.

We encourage people who can contact us online to do so, as it helps to free up phone lines for emergencies or for those who don't have access to or the skills to use computers.

Contact Adult Social Care