Toggle menu

Short breaks

The Short Break Service provides short breaks for people with a learning disability that live at home with their carers, and breaks for carers who have an assessed need for a break from their caring role.

A short break can either take place in the person's home, within the community or specialist buildings. The allocation of breaks people are entitled to each year are agreed as part of a care plan, following an assessment of your needs for adult social care and based on personal circumstances.

Everyone makes a financial contribution towards the cost of their short break, how much depends on individual circumstances.

If you think you or someone you care for needs a break contact the Short Break Coordinator using the details at the bottom of the page to discuss.

Types of Short Break

Blaydon Lodge

This specialist two bed short break service in Blaydon is for adults with learning disabilities/autism and who may present behaviour that can be considered challenging. They may have been assessed as requiring 1:1 or 2:1 support. The service is staffed by Gateshead Council.

Shared Lives

Shared Lives is a care service that provides short-term breaks for adults with additional needs in the homes of Shared Lives carers across the borough. Shared Lives carers are self-employed and are recruited, assessed and trained by Gateshead Council.

The Grove

The Grove is a short break service provided on behalf of Gateshead Council by Gainford Care Homes. The Grove has eight bedrooms, five on the first floor and three on the ground floor. Two ground floor rooms are fully accessible for wheelchair users.

If you would like information on where to go and how to arrange your own short break contact the Short Break Coordinator using the details below.

Contact Adult Social Care

There are many ways to contact the adult social care team, both online and over the phone.

We encourage people who can contact us online to do so, as it helps to free up phone lines for emergencies or for those who don't have access to or the skills to use computers.

Contact Adult Social Care