Toggle menu

Home improvements

Tenants and leaseholders can redecorate, including painting, wallpapering and replacing ceramic tiles, without telling us.

For anything more than this you must get our written agreement before doing any work. We will not refuse unless there is a good reason.

You may also need planning and building regulation approval. We will advise you about this when you get in touchFind out more about building regulations.

Once approved, you will be responsible for paying for the work, and for using a competent tradesperson with liability insurance and the appropriate certifications:

  • Gas - any work to gas appliances or pipework must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered contractor.
  • Electrics - any electrical work must be carried out by an NICEIC registered contractor with a copy of the certificate of compliance forwarded to the housing company.
  • Glazing improvements or new uPVC windows - must have a FENSA certificate.

We may inspect your home to make sure work has been carried out to an appropriate standard.

Maintaining new fixtures and fittings

You are responsible for maintaining new fixtures and fittings for the first year. If you had our permission and the work has been done properly, we will maintain the fixtures and fittings after the first year. However, we cannot guarantee to match fixtures and fittings you installed, especially kitchen units.

Taking fixtures and fittings with you

You can take fixtures and fittings that you had fitted (eg internal doors) with you. However, the property must be put back to its original state or left in a satisfactory condition.

Claiming compensation

If you leave your home, you may be eligible for compensation for improvements you made, as long as you got permission at the time.

If you do something without permission we have the right to put things back as they were and charge you for it.

Contact us