We provide a caretaker or concierge service in multi-storey blocks so residents have a friendly, safe and secure environment to live in.
Caretakers also provide a cleaning service to communal areas of multi-storey blocks.
- Caretakers clean the internal communal areas to the published service standards (displayed in the entrance on the ground floor of blocks)
- Caretakers are given training and equipment to carry out basic repairs in blocks. These include repairs to communal areas, such as unblocking chutes, replacing light bulbs and easing communal doors
- Caretakers can also carry out some other tasks in homes including unblocking sinks and toilets, changing light bulbs, and changing batteries in smoke alarms. They can provide access for gas and electric meter readings
- Caretakers visit all new residents to provide practical information about their new home and the block, such as how to dispose of rubbish and where recycling facilities are located
- When available a caretaker will attend an accompanied viewing with the Neighbourhood Housing Officer, answering any questions the person viewing the property has about living in the block
- Caretakers help to keep the areas around the outside of the block clean by litter-picking every week
- They carry out a monthly safety inspection of communal areas, including dry risers, fire doors and fire extinguishers, reporting any defects
- Caretakers act as a 'good neighbour', providing a point of contact for any enquiries residents have about the homes or services we provide
Caretaking service availability
- Caretakers work 37 hours per week, usually Monday to Friday. Their hours of work and contact details are on display in the block's main entrance
- Outside of these hours, we provide a call-out service to deal with health and safety emergencies. This includes spillages, which should be reported to the duty caretaker, so they can be cleaned immediately
- Please note - the duty caretaker could be from a nearby block
All multi-storey blocks have secure door-entry systems. At the start of your tenancy or lease agreement you will be given an electronic fob or standard key, to allow entry into your block.
This is provided for your use only and should not be given to anyone else.
Please contact your local housing team to request additional fobs or to replace any that are lost. This is important so we can delete a lost fob from the system to prevent unauthorised use. There will be a charge for additional or replacement fobs.
The concierge service is provided in the following multi-storey blocks:
- Warwick and Regent Court - Gateshead town centre
- Redheugh and Eslington Court - Teams
In addition to the concierge service these four blocks also receive the residential caretaker service.
Concierge service availability
The service is provided:
- Monday to Thursday, 8am-10pm
- Friday and Saturday, 8am-midnight
- Sunday, 11am-8pm
Controlling access for visitors
During concierge duty hours, all calls from door-entry panels or car-park barriers will go direct to the concierge.
The concierge will take their name and contact you to see if you want them to be allowed into the block. If you don't want to see the visitor, or you are not at home, the concierge will not allow access.
You can nominate up to three people who will be allowed automatic entry to the block without contacting you first.
Outside of the concierge duty hours calls from the door-entry system will automatically go to your flat intercom and you will be able to allow access to the block.
Help us keep the block secure:
- Only access the block with your fob key
- Report any lost or missing fob keys immediately
- Only allow your visitors access to the block
- Report any vandalism or antisocial behaviour immediately
Going away or on holiday?
If you have asked someone to look after your flat, please give the concierge their contact phone number. This is important so we can arrange for them to be given entry to the block.
To help keep blocks secure, CCTV cameras are located in and around each block that receives the concierge service.
While on duty the concierge service will monitor these cameras. Cameras also record 24 hours per day, seven days per week and can be reviewed at a later date.
The camera system will not intrude on the domestic lives of residents carrying out lawful and legitimate business.
All concierge employees are bound by strict guidelines relating to confidentiality.
How to contact the concierge service
During service hours you can contact the concierge service via the intercom in your flat. Please press the 'CALL' button on the handset.
For security and data protection reasons, the concierge suite is closed to members of the public.