What we offer: babies and toddlers
Our libraries are a great place for babies and toddlers. As well as a vast catalogue of books for all ages, we also run activities and events for all ages.
We run regular Rhymetime sessions at all our libraries. Singing rhymes with your baby is precious and fun. It also has a direct impact on your child's speech and language development as the sessions introduce literacy and numeracy. Babies will learn and repeat words from the rhymes, increasing their vocabulary and developing their imagination.
We also run story times at all our libraries. Inspire children to develop a love of books by listening to fun interactive stories at the library.
We offer storysacks which include a children's picture book along with fun interactive resources and activities. They are a perfect way to allow children to be more hands on during story time by bringing the book to life. You can loan these with any adult library card and keep them for three weeks.
When a book can help
In our catalogue, you will find a wide range of books to help with all aspect of pregnancy through to your child's teenage years. For example:
Parenting books covering all aspects of pregnancy, from diet and exercise to week-by-week guides. Our catalogue includes baby name books, sleep, feeding and weaning fixes, baby's first year, the terrible twos and potty training.
Significant event books such as starting school, first visit to the dentist, becoming a big brother or sister. Use books to introduce new concepts to your child and tackle their fears with our specially selected picture books.
Dual language picture books for young children.
Free books with Bookstart. Bookstart aims to encourage a love of books, stories and rhymes in children from as young an age as possible.
Gateshead Libraries, in partnership with BookTrust, delivers Bookstart. The scheme entitles all babies and toddlers to two free book packs before they start school.
- Bookstart Baby pack: contains two board books for babies aged 0 to 12 months. Delivered by your health visitor before your child's first birthday.
- Bookstart Treasure pack: contains a picture book. Given out at your child's nursery in their pre-school year between ages 3 and 4. If English is not your first language, you may be able to get a book in another language as part of your treasure pack.
We also offer free packs for children with additional needs.
- Bookstart Bookshine: for children who are deaf, include a signing babies place mat and contains two books and guidance around sharing books.
- Bookstart Booktouch: for children who are blind or partially sighted, including two touch and feel books and guidance around sharing books.
- Bookstart Star: for children with conditions affecting their fine motor skills. Contain two books, a finger puppet and guidance around sharing books.
Looking for inspiration?
Booktrust is the UK's largest children's reading charity.