You must apply for a free permit before you visit one of our household waste recycling centres if you:
- use a van
- use a car-derived van - please visit the gov.uk website for guidance if you are unsure if your vehicle meets this description
- use a car with a trailer
- use a 4x4 vehicle with a trailer
- use a 4x4 vehicle with rear panels in the place of windows or no rear seats
- use a pickup with a rear flatbed (covered or uncovered)
- use a minibus
- use a campervan
You must book a time slot after applying for your permit to visit our household waste and recycling centres.
A single permit and a booking is needed for each visit and there are restrictions on the types of waste you can bring.
Permits are sent via email. You should download the permit to a mobile phone or tablet before visiting, or print it out if you don't have a mobile device.
When you arrive at the centre, you should show your booking reference email through your vehicle window so it can be scanned by site staff, along with your permit email. Please keep your windows closed.
Each permit is valid for 28 days. A maximum of 12 permits can be applied for each year (restriction applies to vehicles, properties and individuals).
We issue permits to Gateshead and Sunderland residents. Sunderland residents can only use the Campground centre.
Vehicles which don't need a permit
- estates and people carriers
- 4x4 vehicles
- Registered mobility / wheelchair accessible vehicles under 5.5 metres
Vehicles which do need a permit
- cars with a trailer
- 4x4 vehicles with a trailer
- car-derived vans - please visit the gov.uk website for guidance if you are unsure if your vehicle meets this description
- 4x4 vehicles with rear panels in the place of windows or no rear seats
- pickups with a rear flatbed (covered or uncovered)
Vehicles not allowed on site
- box type vans
- flat bed trucks
- agricultural vehicles
- any van with a trailer, including car-derived vans
- 4x4 vehicles with rear panels and a trailer
Before you apply for a permit, please be aware that
- the applicant must be the driver of the vehicle
- vehicles must be 5.5 metres or under in length bumper-to-bumper
- trailers must be 3 metres or under in length from tow bar to end
- vehicle must be under 2.3 metres as there is a height barrier in use
- there is a limit of one tonne per load no matter what vehicle or trailer you use
- the driver of the vehicle must have insurance to drive it
- vehicle and waste details must match those on the permit
- waste must come from your own property and not from a business
- waste must not be hazardous
- pedestrian access is prohibited to stop people from parking up outside the site and carrying their waste in
- permits can be downloaded to a mobile device or printed out and shown to staff
- a single permit and a booking is required per site visit, although residents may request up to 3 permits per application
- permits are valid for 28 days starting from the date you apply
- possession of a permit does not guarantee entry into the site
- a van towing a trailer is not allowed into the site for health and safety reasons
- there are restrictions on the types of waste you can bring, including a limit of 6 bin bags of rubble
0191 433 7000