Household waste and recycling centres
When visiting our Household Waste Recycling Centres please
- plan your visit and avoid peak times if possible - weekends and bank holidays are our busiest periods and you should expect delays or queues
- consider which materials can be recycled and re-used
- sort your recyclables before your visit
- remove your garden waste from any bags or containers before placing in the skip as these can contaminate the load
- at Campground, only park in the dedicated bays - there are more bays at the far end of the site
- wear appropriate clothing, footwear (no flip flops or sandals) and gloves
- children and animals must stay in the vehicle at all times for their own safety
Please allow yourself enough time to unload your waste before the closing time of the site or you may be refused entry. If you've got a large load we recommend you get there at least 30 minutes before closing. Sorting your waste into material types before visiting the recycling centre may save you time at the site.
We have two household waste and recycling centres, located at:
- Campground, Wrekenton, NE9 7XW - for Gateshead and Sunderland residents only
- Cowen Road, Blaydon, NE21 5TW - for Gateshead residents only
Residents can use these centres to dispose of their household waste.
These facilities are not available for the receipt of trade or business waste. If you use a van, pick-up or tow a trailer, you need a permit to deposit waste at the centres.