Toggle menu

Communal recycling facilities

What can I recycle?

If you live in a communal property, you will normally have a mixed recycling bin and a paper recycling bin. These will be clearly marked and labelled.

Please only put the correct items in the recycling bins to prevent contaminating the load. Contaminated loads may have to go to landfill rather than for recycling.

Paper bins

  • Newspapers and magazines
  • Paper
  • Telephone directories 
  • White envelopes
  • Catalogues

Mixed recycling bins

  • Flattened white, grey and brown cardboard such as cereal boxes, brown envelopes, toothpaste boxes, clean ready meal boxes, egg boxes, and kitchen roll inners
  • Empty and rinsed food tins, drink cans and aerosols
  • Rinsed and squashed plastic bottles. Please replace bottle tops before putting them in the recycling bin.
  • Rinsed glass bottles and jars. Please replace lids and tops before putting them in the recycling bin.

What can't I put in the recycling bins?

At present we are unable to take the items listed below in the communal recycling bins. However, some of the items can be recycled at other locations in Gateshead.

Hard plastics such as kitchenware, electrical plugs, toys and chairsHousehold waste and recycling centres
Cookware, pyrex or any other safety glass, ceramics, light bulbs Household waste and recycling centres
Plastic bagsSupermarkets with bag recycling facilities
General waste including food waste, nappies, black food trays, tin foil, shredded paper, polystyrene and wallpaperNor currently recycled