Toggle menu

Register to vote

You need to be on the electoral register to vote. The easiest way for you to register to vote is on the website. You will need to provide your details to register, including your national insurance number and date of birth.

If you have someone registered at your address but they no longer live there, you need to contact us so we can update the register.

If you're not sure if you're registered to vote, phone the elections team on 0191 433 7001 or email

Register to vote

Why you should be on the electoral register

Registering to vote means you can vote and have your say in local and national (general) elections.

Who can register to vote

You are eligible to register if you are:

  • a resident in the UK
  • 18 or over on the day of election.
  • a British, Commonwealth, Irish or other European Union citizen
  • not legally excluded from voting (for example, if you are in prison)
  • a member or spouse of HM Forces
  • a crown servant employed outside the UK
  • a British Citizen living overseas.

European citizens are allowed to vote in European and local elections only (not UK Parliamentary elections). You cannot vote in local elections if you are a British citizen living abroad and registered as an overseas voter.

The electoral register

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote. It is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:

  • detecting crime (for example, fraud)
  • calling people for jury service
  • checking credit applications

The current Electoral Register is a publicly accessible document, which can be viewed at Gateshead Civic Centre or Gateshead Library. The library also hold archived registers dating back to 1832. 

The open register

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. For example, businesses and charities use it to confirm name and address details.

Any person company or organisation can buy it. You can request a copy by emailing or writing to us.

In your request, you must specify:

We will then be back in touch with a cost and to process payment, before sending you a copy of the open register.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask us to remove them. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

Apply for removal from the open register

You can find more information about both registers and how they may be used at (opens new window)

Contact us

Electoral Services
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 7001