Toggle menu

Go Gateshead sports and leisure

GO Gateshead Sports and Leisure

Who we are

Gateshead Council uses your personal data to provide you with the GO Gateshead Sports and Leisure service.

Our Data Protection Officer is the Information Rights Officer at the Civic Centre, Regent Street, Gateshead, NE8 1HH. They can be emailed at

Why we process your data

GO Gateshead Sports and Leisure process your personal data under the Local Government Act 1972 and the Localism Act 2011, and specifically under the Localism Act 2011 Section 1(1) power of general competence. It processes your data to provide insight on the demand for, and use of its facilities and services, to enable funding to be released from the commissioners to deliver targeted services.

Who we share your data with

We sometimes share your data with the following organisations:

  • other public authorities and public partnerships (for example councils, schools, NHS providers, Police, government departments) where appropriate sharing is required, for example, safeguarding, or referrals to other services with your consent.
  • voluntary and non-commercial sector organisations that help us deliver services.
  • businesses that we contract with to help us deliver services.
  • partner organisations which commission the services.

We take part in the Cabinet Office's National Fraud Initiative; a data matching exercise to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud.

How we keep your data secure in other countries

We do not ordinarily transfer your data to any organisation in a third country or international organisation (e.g. using Cloud storage). We would only do so if there are appropriate or suitable safeguards in place, and you would be informed of any data transfer.

How long we keep your data for

The council required to keep your data for 10 years.

Your rights

You have the following rights:

  • To ask for a copy of the data we hold on you.
  • To ask us to delete data on you that we no longer need.
  • To ask us to correct data about you that is incorrect.
  • If you think the data we hold is incorrect, to ask us to stop using it temporarily until it is correct.

You can submit a request for any of these by visiting the Data Protection page on the Gateshead Council website.

In addition, if you provided your consent for us to use your data for non-statutory purposes, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. To do so email your request to 
Please note however, withdrawal of consent to process your data may mean that you can no longer access the service.

Profiling and automated decisions

The council does not currently undertake any profiling activities or take automated decisions about you.

How to submit a complaint

If you are dissatisfied with our response to your request you may submit an official complaint. We will review your complaint and respond accordingly. If we do not resolve your complaint you can request an official review. If you then wish to pursue your complaint further, you can do so through the Information Commissioner's Office website.