Coronavirus (COVID-19)
View the latest COVID-19 information and advice
Toggle menu

Apply for planning permission or submit a commercial notification of prior approval

We strongly advise that you get our advice before applying. This will help ensure your application is complete and accurate first time.  

Apply for planning permission

Most new buildings, major alterations to existing buildings and changes to the use of a building or piece of land need planning permission.

You will be asked what type of permission you are applying for at step two.

Apply for planning permission

You will need planning permission for most developments. This includes building, engineering, mining or other works in, on, over or under land; or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or other land.

Prior to submitting a formal planning application please first ensure you have read and checked the Icon for pdf Tyne and Wear Validation List [930.43KB] as to the plans and information required.

Visit the website for further information.

Some minor works and changes of use don't need planning permission. This is called permitted development. If you are unsure whether your proposal requires planning permission, get advice before applying.

There are two main types of application, full planning permission and outline planning permission. Get advice about the different types of planning applicationsbefore applying. 

You may also need other types of consent  as well as planning permission. 

Prior approval

Instead of needing full planning permission, you may only need to provide prior notification before starting a development, such as those involving 

  • change of use
  • telecommunications
  • demolition
  • agriculture 
  • forestry

To be eligible the development must comply with the requirements of the relevant permitted development rights. Find out more information on the planning process.

You will need to seek approval from us that specified elements of the development are acceptable before work can go ahead. The matters for prior approval differ depending on the type of development.

Prior notification

You will need to notify us before starting some developments.

You will be asked what type of prior approval your are applying for at step two.

Apply for prior approval

    The Planning Portal provides guidance on prior notification for telecommunications, demolition and agriculture, and also for changes of use.

    Submit an application 

    If you are ready to apply, we recommend that you use the Planning Portal. This option saves on time, printing and postal costs. 

    If you would still prefer to apply by post you can print the relevant forms from the Planning Portal and post them to:

    Development Management
    Civic Centre
    Regent Street 
    Gateshead Council
    NE8 1HH

    If sending a postal application you must include the correct fee. 

    How to pay
    We are currently working remotely. The easiest and quickest payment method is a BACS transfer, email for the bank details. 

    We can still accept payment by cheque, but due to the limited access to the civic centre this may delay your application. Make the cheque payable to 'Gateshead Council', please put the site address on the back and post to: 

    Development Management
    Civic Centre
    Regent Street
    NE8 1HH

      Help us improve this site by giving feedback