Skip to content

Planning permission advice for householders

    Planning Portal interactive properties

    View the Planning Portal interactive property guides to help you find out if planning permission is needed for the work you want to do.

    You may also need approval for proposed alterations and development.

    View the interactive property guides

    The advice service we provide is for local residents who wish to carry out works to extend their home or carry out other works within the land immediately surrounding of a property. This could include:

    • building an extension, detached garage or outbuilding 
    • decking, paving, or driveways
    • boundary walls, fences or gates

    We offer two levels of householder service.

    • Do I need planning permission?
      You can perform certain types of work without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called permitted development rights.
    • Will I get planning permission?

    Find out if you need planning permission before applying. 

        What are the benefits of householder pre-application advice?

        We offer advice to help you to submit a complete and accurate planning application. 

        We will explain how plans, policies and other requirements affect your proposals and let you know details that would likely need to be submitted with a formal application.

        Householder pre-application advice

        Get pre-application advice and make sure you submit a complete and accurate planning application.

        Submit an enquiry


        We do not have to provide pre-application advice. So this service can continue we charge a small fee. The fee depends on the type of enquiry and the scale of development proposed.

        Type of developmentResponse time - working daysFee including VAT
        Householders Permitted Development (Do I need permission?)15£25
        Householders Pre-Application Enquiry (Will I get permission?)20£40
        One amended 'will I get permission' pre-application enquiry submitted within three months of the council's response to the initial enquiry20£20


        There will be no charge for an enquiry if you are

        • disabled and seeking advice to adapt your property to meet your needs due to your disability
        • registered charitable organisations
        • internal council projects funded by the council

        Externally funded projects will be charged.

        How to pay

        Credit and debit card call Development Management  0191 433 3150

        Reception payment  opening times:
        Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 4.30pm
        Friday 8.45am to 4pm
        Cheque, cash or card at Communities and Environment Reception, Second Floor, Civic Centre, Gateshead, NE8 1HH.

        Cheque payable to 'Gateshead Council', please put the site address on the back and post to: 

        Development Management
        Civic Centre
        Regent Street
        NE8 1HH

        Points to note

        We can identify issues and provide comments on your proposals. We cannot help draw up the plans or recommend planning consultant, architects or builders to you.

        The information given is the informal advice of the officer only. It is not binding to any formal decision taken on any formal planning application you may submit. 

        If your application goes to the Planning and Development Committee, the informal advice is not binding on any decision taken by Members.

        It may invalidate your application if the relevant and necessary information is not provided.

        We would usually carry out consultation and notify neighbours. 

        Our pre-application advice relates only to issues relating to planning. Your development may need consent under other legislation such as

        Your land may also have separate legal covenants on it. These will need to be dealt with as a civil matter by you with any interested party.

          Share this page