Equipment to make your home more suitable

Adaptations  are changes made to your home to make it easier, if you are disabled or an older person, to live independently in your own home. There are two types of adaptations; minor and major.

Minor adaptations are fixed alterations that cost less than £1,000 and include:

  • grab rails
  • hand rails
  • door-entry systems
  • alterations to steps
  • widening of a door or path

Major adaptations are alterations that normally cost more than £1,000, and include:

  • ramps
  • stairlifts
  • vertical lift
  • shower over a bath
  • level-access shower
  • ceiling track hoist

Major adaptations can include internal and external changes to the layout of a property. It is only in very exceptional circumstances that a property will be extended. There will also be some situations where it will be appropriate to explore the option of alternative accommodation.

If you're eligible, an assessment of your needs for adult social care will be carried out to see if you qualify for the service, which will include details of cost. An assessing officer or the Occupational Therapy Team will then get in touch.

Help with adaptations to the home are available for people who have a serious disability which causes them to be permanently and substantially disabled, whether they are a council tenant or living in private accommodation.

View alternative equipment suppliers


Contact us

For further information about adult social care in Gateshead contact
Adult Social Care Direct 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
0191 433 7033
Enquiry form

Share this page