Toggle menu

About Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a 'working age' benefit payable to those aged 18 up to 'pension credit qualifying age'. Check your state pension age (opens new window).

If you are part of a couple, one of whom is of pension age and one of whom is of working age, you would claim Universal Credit. The exception to this is if the younger member of the couple is receiving income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Income Support, in which case you would be able to claim housing benefit. 16- and 17-year-olds could also receive it in certain limited circumstances.

You can claim Universal Credit towards your daily living needs only, but need to claim Housing Benefit from the council for help towards your rent if:

  • you live in exempt supported accommodation
  • you have been placed in temporary accommodation by the council

For more information visit the website (opens new window) or contact the Universal Credit service centre on 0800 328 5644. This is a free service. 

Move to Universal Credit (opens new window) gives more information about managed migration to Universal Credit.

Council Tax Support

Universal Credit does not replace Council Tax Support. We still deal with reductions to your Council Tax if you have a low income. Visit our Council Tax Support webpage to apply.