The retailing of poisons is controlled by the Poisons Act 1972. The Poisons List Order contains a list of poisons covered by the Poisons Act.
The Active Ingredients approved for use in the UK and included in the product searches are specified under Parts I and II of the Poisons List, as follows.
Part I - sale restricted to registered retail pharmacists
- aluminium phosphide
- methyl bromide
- sodium cyanide
- magnesium phosphide
Part II - sale restricted to registered retail pharmacists and listed sellers registered with local authority
- paraquat (d);
- fentin acetate;
- phorate (a);
- ammonium bifluoride;
- fentin hydroxide;
- sodium fluoride, carbofuran (a);
- sulphuric acid;
- chlorfenvinphos (a,b);
- methomyl (f);
- triazaphos (a);
- dichlorvos (a,e);
- nicotine (c);
- zinc phosphide;
- disulfuton (a);
- oxamyl (a).
- Granular formulations which do not contain more than 12% w/w of this, or a combination of similarly flagged poisons, are exempt;
- Treatments on seeds are exempt;
- Formulations containing not more than 7.5% of nicotine are exempt;
- Pellets containing not more than 5% paraquat ion are exempt;
- Preparations in aerosol dispensers containing not more than 1% w/w active ingredient are exempt. Materials impregnated with dichlorvos for slow release are exempt;
- Solid substances containing not more than 1% w/w ai are exempt.
Download the application form below, complete and return it to the address shown.
0191 433 4741
Monday - Thursday: 10am - 4pm
Friday: 10am - 3.30pm