Review of Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicle policy and conditions
We are reviewing our policy and conditions for Hackney Carriages and Private Hire vehicles. We're keen to get the views of licensees, members of the public and partner agencies on a number of proposed changes and issues relating to the policy.
The closing date for this consultation is Sunday 1 March 2020. Please use the contact details at the bottom of this page if you have any difficulties completing the survey or if you have any questions relating to it.
Taxi Licensing - Policy update
The Council are required to change policies from time to time to reflect changes which occur outside of the normal review period for these policies. The Council have recently changed their policies in respect of Taxi Licensing in several areas in response to the need to reflect national legislation, the need to reflect legal rulings and the need to address serious concerns in relation to public safety. The changes include, requiring new applicants to prove they have the right to live and work in the UK, requiring all drivers to undertake Child Sexual Exploitation ('CSE') awareness training and the power to respond to circumstances where the Police inform the Council there is a 'pressing social need' to take action to protect the public. The full changes can be examined below in the documents entitled "Hackney Carriage Driver Licences", "Private Hire Driver Licences" and "Policy on the relevance of criminal conduct and complaints against licence holders".
The Equality Act 2010
This List of Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (Correct as of April 2019) [30.94KB] is designated for the purposes of Section 165 of the above Act.
Home addresses of Gateshead licensed drivers by local authority
The map below shows the local authorities in which drivers licensed by Gateshead Council live. This data is correct as of September 2017
Hackney carriage and private hire documents
- Hackney Carriage Driver Licences [183.37KB]
- Private Hire Driver Licences [180.49KB]
- Policy on the relevance of criminal conduct and complaints against licence holders [256.26KB]
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Tariff - Updated November 2014 [70.96KB]
- New Driver Screening Form [34.21KB]
- Driver Application Form (Renewal) [61.48KB]
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Evidence Check Sheet [27.41KB]
- Vehicle Application Form [61.85KB]
- Private Hire Operator Application Form [273.16KB]
- Private Hire Operator Conditions [361.37KB]
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Conditions [84.15KB]
- Private Hire Vehicle Conditions [76.41KB]
- Frequently Asked Questions [16.36KB]
- Current list of Gateshead Hackney Carriage Waiting Bays (taxi ranks) [17.19KB] (Updated June 2014)
0191 433 4741
Taxi Vehicle Testing
0191 433 7433