Toggle menu

Moving a body

Repatriation of a deceased body from abroad to England or Wales

The Foreign Registration Authority will issue a death certificate which needs to be taken to the registrar of the district in which the burial or cremation is to take place. The registrar will then issue a document called a 'Certificate of No Liability to Register'. This is the document that will be given to the funeral director in order to allow the funeral to proceed.

Overseas burials

Some countries require a cadaver certificate before they will allow a body into the country for burial. The certificate, if issued, confirms that no epidemic of infectious disease occurred in the borough for some three months preceding the death.

This formality of obtaining the cadaver certificate is usually handled by the undertaker, making the arrangements on behalf of the relatives. However, anyone can apply. The funeral directors will also help with anything requested by the coroner and with requirements of the authorities in the overseas country to which the deceased is going. Some of these requirements may apply for burial in another part of the United Kingdom.

The certificate is issued by the Environmental Health Officer for the council in whose area the person died, or is to be exhumed from before reburial elsewhere.


Contact us

Bereavement Services
Gateshead Council
Park Road Depot
0191 433 3816 or 433 3811 

Office opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm