Toggle menu

Council Tax appeals

You can appeal to us if you disagree with a decision we have made about any of the following:

  • we have made you responsible for the payment of the Council Tax bill
  • we have not awarded you an exemption
  • we have not awarded you a single person discount
  • we have not awarded you a discount disregard
  • we have not awarded you a disabled relief reduction

If you wish to appeal you must write to us stating the reasons why you disagree with the council's decision. When we receive your appeal we will consider your reasons and write back to you within two months. If we do not agree with you we will tell you the reasons why. 

If you are still unhappy you can appeal to Valuation Tribunal Service (opens new window).

You can also appeal if you think a decision we have made about your Council Tax Support  is wrong.

If you think the band of your property is wrong please contact the Valuation Office Agency (opens new window).

Contact us

Council Tax
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 3600

Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 5pm
Friday 8.45am to 4.30pm

Contact Council Tax