Toggle menu

What to do if you can't pay your Council Tax

If you are on a low income you may be entitled to Council Tax Support. Visit Council Tax support for more information and to apply. If you need help, email or phone us on 0191 433 4646. 
If you are concerned about making a payment, contact our Council Tax team or call 0191 433 3600. 

We understand that there are times when you may be unable to pay your bill. If you are having problems paying your Council Tax, contact us straight away so we can help you.  

We can help by:

  • allowing you time to pay what you owe
  • discussing what you can afford to pay
  • making sure you are getting any reductions you may be due
  • picking a way to pay that is best for you
  • picking a payment date that is best for you
  • putting you in touch with free and experienced debt advisors if you need more help

Find out about the steps we take to recover unpaid Council Tax.

Free advice

Our Debt Advice Team offers free, impartial and confidential advice. The team will help you work through any debt issues and check you are getting the right benefits. They will also talk to creditors on your behalf.

Gateshead Advice Centre (opens new window) offers free advice about welfare benefits, debt, housing, civil rights, immigration, consumer affairs and other issues.

Case study

Ms C owed over £3000 Council Tax. During an interview a member of the Council Tax team soon realised that Ms C had other debt including the threat of repossession. A Debt Advisor joined the meeting. They sorted repayments with the mortgage lender, set up a Council Tax repayment plan and found that Ms C was entitled to Working Tax Credit. Ms C has maximised her income and is now able to budget and keep up to date with her bills.

Contact us

Council Tax
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 3600

Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 5pm
Friday 8.45am to 4.30pm

Contact Council Tax