Toggle menu

Debt advice

Rent arrears occur when you don't pay some or all of the rent you owe your landlord. This can happen when you get into financial difficulty due to a cut in working hours or job loss, a delay or problem with your benefit claim, or a relationship breakdown.

The higher your arrears get, the more likely your landlord will consider taking action to evict you from the property. It is important to address the problem as soon as possible by seeking advice on your options. Contact our Debt Advice Team on 0191 433 6165 or

Other financial help from our Advice and Support Team

Visit Shelter for more advice on dealing with rent arrears (opens new window)

If your circumstances change, and it could affect the amount of benefit you get, you must tell us straight away. Report a change in circumstances.

If you claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and your circumstances have changed, making you worse off, you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment

Contact us

Debt Advice Team
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 6165