Household Support Fund
The Household Support Fund (HSF) is a Government scheme.
£3.6m is available to support Gateshead households in the most need up to 31 March 2024.
The grant is funded by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Each local council will decide how to use the fund in their area.
The fund aims to 'provide crisis support to vulnerable households in most need of support to help with the significantly rising living costs'.
Gateshead councillors have agreed how the fund will be used.
How we will use the fund in Gateshead
Various organisations will receive funding to allow them to support households during the year. Support includes, but is not restricted to:
- food co-ops, food banks and other food projects
- the Warm Spaces programme
- help to reconnect energy supplies
- funding meals for eligible children during school holidays
- providing extra support for those families eligible for free school meals at Christmas
- support via our partner organisations
Householders can also apply for individual help from the fund
You may be eligible for help from HSF if:
- you are a householder in Gateshead
- we have funds available
- your household is in need of support
- you fit the other criteria for the application process at the time
You will not be eligible for help from HSF if:
- you are not a householder in Gateshead
- we have no funds available
- you have received help from the fund in the last six months
- your need is not covered by the scheme
- you are not deemed to need support in accordance with the scheme guidance
- you have recently received a cost-of-living payment from another Government scheme
- the information you provide differs from information we hold on your household
Household Support Fund (HSF)
You must be a householder to apply.
A householder is the person named on a property's Council Tax bill.
The funding available is limited. We will try to help as many households in need as possible during the year.
Households can access support from the fund by applying through this form, through one of our partner organisations, or an award will be made automatically where appropriate.
So that we can help as many households in need as possible, the direct application process for awards will only be available to certain households at certain times of the year.
households with children who receive free school meals are not eligible to apply for HSF during school holidays because they already receive support to cover that period
households on certain benefits can not apply during the period they are receiving the £300 Cost of Living Payment from the Government
households of state pension age are not eligible to apply during November as they receive an extra Winter Fuel Allowance that month
Applications for an award through the direct application process can also be made by calling Citizens Advice Gateshead on 0191 300 2363. Those not eligible for an award through the direct application process may be offered other types of support.
If you still need support
Help for council tenants
Contact the Rent and Income Advice and Support Team
Help for any Gateshead resident
Contact the Debt Advice Service
Services from Citizens Advice Gateshead
Anyone struggling with money problems can receive free, independent and impartial advice by calling the Citizens Advice Gateshead debtline on 0191 490 4248.
If you have any other enquiries, for example welfare benefit issues, housing, employment or relationship problems, call Citizens Advice Gateshead on 0808 278 7902.
Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.