Toggle menu

Household Support Fund

The Household Support Fund (HSF) is a Government scheme.

£1.8m is available to support Gateshead households in the most need. Support will be available until 30 September 2024, or when the funding runs out (whichever is sooner).

The grant is funded by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Each local council decides how to use the fund in their area. Gateshead councillors have agreed how the fund will be used.

We will use the fund to meet immediate needs and help people who are struggling to afford household essentials including energy bills, food, and wider essentials.

How we will use the fund in Gateshead

Targeted food provision

  • Free school meals during May school holidays - £15 per child per week (automatically provided to eligible households)
  • A further final voucher in June or July to support households receiving means-tested free school meals

Other support through existing and new projects (including but not limited to)

Applications for help directly through the council

Applications to the fund have been paused due to extremely high demand.

If we have funds available once we have processed all the current applications, we will re-open for applications in the future. Please keep checking here.

Households can still ask for support from one of the other organisations detailed on this page.

If you still need support

Help for council tenants

Contact the Advice and Support Team

Help for any Gateshead resident

Contact the Debt Advice Service (opens new window)

Services from Citizens Advice Gateshead

Anyone struggling with money problems can receive free, independent and impartial advice by calling the Citizens Advice Gateshead debtline on 0191 490 4248.

If you have any other enquiries, for example welfare benefit issues, housing, employment or relationship problems, call Citizens Advice Gateshead on 0808 278 7902.

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

Further help