Toggle menu

Corporate complaints process

Step one - problem solving

Check first if there is another option to report your issue. If there is, please use that. For example, you want to inform us that your waste bin was not emptied then you need to report a missed bin. 

Only complete the complaints form within the relevant service area of the contact us page when there's no other option. Choose the area most relevant to your issue, that way it will get to the correct service and dealt with more quickly.

Please only report your issue to us once.
There is no set timeframe for a response at this stage but we'll always try to resolve your issue quickly and informally by providing information or taking appropriate action.

We'll provide a link so you can track progress and receive updates even if you have not registered with My Gateshead account.

If you complete the complaint form anonymously, we will still investigate it but will not be able to contact you if further information is needed or to update you on the outcome.

Step two - investigation

If you are not satisfied with our actions investigating your issue at step one, then it can be escalated to a step two complaint. Step two is the formal stage where the complaint will be investigated by a senior manager in the service involved.

We will provide a response within 20 working days. If this is not possible, we'll tell you why and give you an anticipated date when you will get a response.

Once we provide your response, if you're still unhappy, you have 10 working days to request that the Chief Executive look again at your complaint.

Step three - Chief Executive Review

If you request a Chief Executive Review you must provide details of why you think your complaint should be reviewed. You need to do this within 10 working days of receiving the step two response. 

The Chief Executive will give you a full response within 20 working days, this may take longer if your case is complicated.


If you are not happy with the way your complaint was handled you can contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. This is an independent national service which investigates complaints against councils.

They will not normally carry out an investigation until your complaint has been through all three stages of our complaints process.

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
CV04 0EH

0300 061 0614

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (opens new window)

If your complaint was about housing contact:

Housing Ombudsman Service
PO Box 152
Liverpool L33 7WQ
Tel: 0300 111 3000

Housing Ombudsman (opens new window)

Visit Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman for more information.

How to complain about a councillor

Councillors must follow the code of conduct, if you think they have failed to comply then you can complain. Visit Complain about a Councillor or co-opted member to find out more and how to complain.