Toggle menu

Complaints privacy notice

Why we need your information and how we use it

Gateshead Council is always working to improve the way services are provided to our customers. We want to ensure that we are transparent and provide you with information about how we will use your personal data.

In order to investigate and administer your complaint it is necessary for us to collect and hold personal information about you.

If you make a complaint about the us we will hold the information you provide to us securely and use it to help us to process your complaint. Your information will only be passed to officers within the relevant departments who are responsible for handling, investigating and responding to complaints. All information pertaining to complaints are administered and held on a central system which is accessible by complaints management staff.

Any personal data collected through the complaints handling process will be processed in accordance with the UK Data Protection Legislation.

Type of information collected from you

We ask for details such as your name, contact number, email address and the type of service your complaint is about.

If the complaint relates to another person, we may need to contact them separately to gain consent if this has not already been provided.

Who your information may be shared with (internally and externally)

We will only share your information with internal departments and organisations that we are contracted with or who we need to share information with to deal with your complaint for example the Local Government Ombudsman. We will not normally share your information with any other external organisation without your consent. However there may be certain circumstances where we would need to share your information for example; where we are required to do so by law, for safeguarding purposes or in risk of harm or emergency situations.

How long we keep your information

We are required to keep your information relating to your complaint for a minimum of six years after which time your information will be destroyed.

How you can access, update or correct your information

The Data Protection law gives you the right to apply for a copy of information about yourself. This is called a 'Subject Access Request'. For information on how to make a request visit our Data protection page.

The accuracy of your information is important to us to be able to provide relevant services more quickly. We are working to make our record keeping more efficient. In the meantime, if you change your address or email address, or if any of your circumstances change or any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date, please email via our contact page

Your information choice and rights

If you have any questions or concerns about how your information is used please email our Information Governance team at

Information Commissioner's Office

The Information Commissioner is the UK's independent body set up to uphold information rights.

If you would like to know more about your rights under the Data Protection law, and what you should expect from us, visit the Information Commissioner's website.

If you have any concerns regarding our privacy practices or about exercising your Data Protection rights, you may contact the Information Commissioner's Office:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

0303 123 1113 or 01625 545 745