Temporary signing for major events such as craft fairs and music concerts may be permitted. The signing criteria are as follows:
- the event should attract at least 250 vehicles per day from outside the local area and provide adequate parking off the public highway
- the signs must be provided by the AA, RAC or similar organisation which offers a specialist service and provides suitable public liability insurance to indemnify the Highway Authority
- the signs must only be erected two days before and during the event and removed within two days of the end of the event
- the signs must only be provided from the nearest A or B class road and continue along the route to the event
- the sign's legend must only name the venue and not contain any reference to either the event or the names or logos of the companies or organisations involved in the event
The only exceptions to this shall be:
- where the name of the venue incorporates the name of the company or organisation and therefore cannot be incorporated without including the name in connection with an event where no goods are for sale in connection with a national or regional sporting event
Signs may be approved if the following criteria are met:
- the development must consist of at least 30 bedrooms
- the sign must be provided by the AA, RAC or similar organisation which offers a specialist service and provides suitable public liability insurance to indemnify the Highway Authority
- the sign must only be erected at the start of construction and be removed 3 months after completion of the development
- the sign must only be provided from the nearest A or B class road and continue along the route to the development
- the signs either specify the agreed name of the development or a road name and do not contain any reference to the developer or other organisation or company associated with the development
Applications for approval to erect temporary signage should be submitted to the Traffic Management Team at:
Transport and Highways
The application should include a plan indicating the location of the signs and details of the legend on each of the signs. The signage must be in accordance with Regulation 27 of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002. You should also provide confirmation that you have adequate insurance cover to indemnify the District Council as Highway Authority against any claim however arising.
You should be aware that it is the applicants' responsibility to seek further approval from the Highway Agency with respect to any signs intended to be displayed on the Trunk Road or Motorway.
There are charges for determining the application for temporary signage.
Phone: 0191 433 3108