Autism Information Hub
The Autism Information Hub is available to anyone with an interest in autism - parents/carers/family members, professionals, practitioners, or individuals with autism, with or without a diagnosis.
The Autism Information Hub monthly drop-ins offer:
- an opportunity to speak with a professionally trained autism specialist and seek advice about any concerns you might have
- guidance on autism assessment and diagnosis in Gateshead
- access to a wide range of books, information and resources on a variety of autism topics, including training, social events, group activities etc
- a relaxed refreshment area where visitors can meet people and share experiences
- guidance and signposting to appropriate support services and voluntary and charity organisations operating locally
- free exclusive access to the sensory room for parents and carers attending the drop-in (children must be supervised by an adult at all times in the sensory room)
- representatives from outside agencies who can advise on the help available from their services
Autism Hub Facebook group
Gateshead Autism Information Hub has a Facebook group for information sharing. The Hub welcomes parents and carers of autistic children, professionals and practitioners, autistic individuals and anyone with an interest in autism. You do not need to be a Gateshead resident to join. Please join the group to access our resources, and feel free to share widely.
Autism Hub parent support groups
The Autism Information Hub has two spin-off support groups for parents and carers of autistic children and young people. The daytime group meets between 9.30 and 11.30am on the first Friday of each month. The evening support group meets between 6 and 7.30pm on the Friday evening before the monthly drop-in session. Both sessions are at Elgin Children's Centre.
These meetings are not open to professionals and practitioners.
All parents and carers are welcome to join the groups for mutual support and information-sharing about their autism experiences. Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate children at these meetings.
For further details please contact email@example.com
Drop-in and support group dates 2022
Day time support group
First Friday of every month, 9.30 to 11.30am.
Friday 7 January
Friday 4 February
Friday 4 March
Friday 1 April
Friday 6 May
Friday 3 June
Friday 1 July
Friday 5 August
Friday 2 September
Friday 7 October
Friday 4 November
Friday 2 December
Second Monday of every month, 9.30 to 11.30am.
Monday 10 January
Monday 14 February
Monday 14 March
Monday 11 April
Monday 9 May
Monday 13 June
Monday 11 July
Monday 8 August
Monday 12 September
Monday 10 October
Monday 14 November
Monday 12 December
Evening support group
Fridays before each Autism Hub drop-in, 6 to 7.30pm.
No January meeting
Friday 11 February
Friday 11 March
Friday 8 April
No May meeting
Friday 10 June
Friday 8 July
No August meeting
Friday 9 September
No October meeting
Friday 11 November
Friday 9 December
Free car parking is available for the Autism Information Hub drop-in sessions and support group meetings.
Directions can be found on the Elgin children's centre page.
A guide to claiming Child DLA (Disability Living Allowance) is available, either digitally by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at the Autism Hub drop-ins or support group meetings.
The Elgin Centre also has a community cafe, a sensory space, play areas and toy library on site.
For more information about services available at the Elgin Centre, contact Elgin Children's Centre, Elgin Road, Gateshead, NE9 5PA, phone 0191 433 6300 or email email@example.com