Temporary event notice
A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is a notification given by an individual to Gateshead Council giving notice of an event that is to take place.
Temporary Event Notices relate to temporary events with less than 500 attendees where 'licensable activities' are planned to take place.
Licensable activities are:
- The sale of alcohol by retail
- The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to, or to the order of, a member of a club
- The provision of regulated entertainment
- The provision of late night refreshment (the provision of hot food or drink for consumption on or off premises between 11pm & 5am)
- A Temporary Event Notice does not relieve the premises user from any requirements under the Planning Law for appropriate planning permission where it is required.
Refusal of applications
There are a number of possible reasons why we may refuse a Temporary Event Notice, namely:
- If you have not given enough notice for your event - TENs must be submitted at least 10 working days before the proposed event, not counting the day on which you apply nor the day of the event. Late TENS must be submitted as least 5 working days before the proposed event, again not counting the day submitted nor the day of the event. This is set by law and we cannot depart from it.
- If your event does not satisfy the necessary criteria (for example, if you have already used your full quota of TENs for the year, or if your proposed event would exceed the maximum period allowed). Should this be the case we will issue a counter-notice, which will veto the event. There is no right to appeal against this decision.
- If you give a late TEN and the Police or Environmental Health object to it, we must automatically issue a counter-notice. This counter-notice will veto the event. There is no right to appeal against this decision.
Please note: We do not issue refunds for applications that are out of time or invalid. It is important to ensure that all TENs are submitted as early as possible to avoid issues with deadlines. Please contact the Licensing Team for advice if required.
0191 433 4741
Monday - Thursday: 10am - 4pm
Friday: 10am - 3.30pm