Toggle menu

Hypnotism authorisation

If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public, you must have authorisation from the local authority in England and Wales. You must comply with any conditions attached to an authorisation.

Apply online via

Eligibility criteria

No exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism (as defined in the Hypnotism Act 1952) shall be given, except with the express consent of the Council and in compliance with the conditions (PDF) [41KB] (opens new window) .

Regulation summary

A summary of the legislation relating to Hypnotism is available by visiting the website (opens new window) .

Application evaluation process

There are no provisions in legislation. Authorisation can be applied for online or by writing to us.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though you have been authorised if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

In the event of a complaint the first contact should be made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice Consumer Service (opens new window) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (opens new window) .

Other redress

If you have a concern about noise or pollution from a premises where a hypnotism act is going on please contact the Environmental Protection Section on 0191 433 4734 or email

Also should any person have a complaint relating to a hypnotism act or suspect a hypnotism act is carrying on without authorisation please contact our Licensing Section on 0191 433 4741 or email

Trade associations

The Entertainment Agents' Association (opens new window)

Variety Artistes' Federation (opens new window)

Society for All Artists (SAA) (opens new window)

Contact us

Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 4741