Coronavirus (COVID-19)
View the latest COVID-19 information and advice
Toggle menu

Camping site licence

If you allow your land to be used as a camping site by the public for more than 42 days consecutively - or 60 days in a year - you require a licence from your local authority.

Conditions may be attached to a licence. There are exceptions for organisations that hold camping exemption certificates.

Make a change to an existing camping site licence.

Apply online via

Regulation Summary

An overview of the regulation relating to this licence.

Application Evaluation Process

When an application is made it will be deemed to be made unconditionally unless the local authority give notice that the application is refused or conditions are attached.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

If an applicant is refused a licence they may appeal to their local Magistrates' court.

License Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

A licence holder may appeal against a condition attached to a licence to their local Magistrates' court.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you guidance. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

For example noise, or pollution.. Also in the case where one licence holder complains about another.

Trade Associations

Association of Caravan and Camping Exempted Organsations (ACCEO)

British Holiday & Home Parks Association (BH&HPA)

British Destinations Association

National Caravan Council Training Academy

Association of British Travel Agents

Association of Group Travel Organisers

Hotel Marketing Association

National Caravan Council (NCC)

Contact us

Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 4741

Help us improve this site by giving feedback