Skip to content

Have your say

By giving us your views on our services, you can help us put things right if we've made mistakes, and improve our services to make sure we don't repeat them.

Make a complaint or give a compliment

Other ways to make a complaint or give a compliment

  • speak to your local Councillor
  • visit any Council office
  • phone us on 0191 433 3000 and ask for the service area you need
  • email us at
  • write a letter to Have your say, Gateshead Council, Civic Centre, Regent Street Gateshead, NE8 1HH.
  • contact your local MP
  • get advice about your complaint from the Citizens' Advice Bureau. Your local office is Citizens' Advice Bureau, Davidson Building, Swan Street, Gateshead, NE8 1BG
    Phone: 0191 478 5100

How the complaints process works

There are three steps. You may not have to go through all of these, it will depend on how satisfied you are with our response at the end of each stage. We handle most complaints following these steps. However, depending on the nature of your complaint, we may deal with it differently. If this is the case, we will tell you straight away and tell you what you need to do.

Step one - problem solving

As soon as we get your complaint, we'll try to sort it out quickly and informally by providing information or taking any appropriate action.

Step two - investigation

If we can't sort your complaint out straight away, we'll send you a letter within three working days that tells you:

  • who you can contact about your complaint
  • what we will do
  • how long we will take to deal with it - this is normally within 20 working days. If this isn't possible, we'll tell you why and give you a date when you'll get a response.

Once the investigation is complete, you'll receive the results in writing from a senior manager.

Step three - review

If you are still unhappy, you can ask our Chief Executive to look at your complaint. You should do this within 10 working days of receiving the outcome. The Chief Executive will give you a full response within 20 working days, however this may take longer if your case is complicated.

Your other questions answered

If I'm not happy with the way my complaint is being handled, is there anyone else I can contact?
Yes - you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO). The LGO was set up by the Government to investigate complaints about councils. You can call the LGO advice team on 0300 061 0614 to discuss your complaint, visit the LGO website and complete an online complaint form, write to them at: Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry, CV4 0EH or text 'call back' to 07624 804 323.

I'm worried that if I complain, the service I receive will be affected.
Definitely not. We always aim to provide the best possible service to all our customers, and we won't change that just because we are investigating your complaint.

Is the information I give you confidential?
Any information you give us is covered by Data Protection guidelines. This means we:

  • will keep personal data safe and secure
  • will not share it with other organisations without your permission unless the law says we must
  • may use it to prevent and detect fraud

I want to make a complaint, but want to stay anonymous. Will you still look into it?
Yes. While it is helpful for us to know who you are so we can get in touch for extra details, we believe everyone has a right to complain.

I don't have a complaint, but I want to give you my views on a service.
We appreciate any comments about our services, good or bad. You can give us your views at any time online, in writing, by phone, by email or in person.


Contact us

Have your say
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 3000

Share this page